All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
Tutorials

Blicher, Hemmer, Gadd @ Turner Sims

Halfers

Finger Flapper
Subscriber
The trio, led by all time tub thumping legend, Steve Gadd played in Southampton last night. I was due to go with our Bands drummer, a huge Drumming aficionado and fan of Mr Gadd. However he was so poorly with Man flu, he couldn't attend! So I took my old man instead! it was a bit weird as the audience was 93% Drummer! They have a certain...aura..

Firstly, Steve Gadd is tiny. Really slight build with arms not much thicker than a drum stick. He's quite handy though! His brush work was mesmerising, but he didn't use an old reel to reel tape box at any point.

The music from the trio was pleasant and accessible. A bit bluesy, a bit light Rock n Roll. Michael Blicher is a very 'polite' lyrical player. Lovely tone on both Alto and Tenor. I'm a bit up and down on the Hammond Organ. It's a great instrument, and Dan Hemmer is no doubt a very fine player, but I don't know, it's just all a bit, Hammond Organy, at the end of the day. I was quite mesmerised by his Leslie Cabinet though. I couldn't for the life of me work out what makes the whirly bit suddenly turn at a million revs per minute, then suddenly slow to a virtual stop.

It was an enjoyable evening. I think it's an ideal Project for Gadd to just chill out. He didn't say a word all evening, though he smiled a lot and waved a bit. Interestingly he listened to a click before every song. A very fiddly player. messing with his kit nearly all the time and asking for monitor changes. Goes with the position, I guess. I bet he's got some stories.

IMG_20191112_124657_366 (1).jpg

Saxholder Pro
Help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom