support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Biting through bottom lip and gum

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Hi Everybody

Just come home after 2 weeks hols,missed my sax like crazy but couldn't wait to get back to it because I know from past holidays that there is always a big improvement in my playing after a break.And there was too, but this time I seem to have developed a need to bite through my bottom lip whilst practising.It is something that has happened before but I can't seem to stop doing it this time.Has anyone got any hints or advice on how to stop this,apart from throwing away the sax of course,that's not an option.john:(

John, at your age can't you just throw away the teeth instead? It's got to be cheeper?

Thanks Taz great idea! I am actually looking into a dental alternative but not quite that drastic more of a gum shield thing but I was just wondering if there are some playing techniques to aleviate the problem.I would hate to lose my lovely smile...john>:)

I have to say, joking aside, that I suffer quite badly with the same problem. Mine stems from a chipped front tooth and a tremendous fear of the dentist. I just tend to put up with the taste of blood after a long gig!

What I have found is that I have developed a Scar tissue pad behind my lower lip. this took about a couple of years to form and is maintained by Practicing regularly.

It`s funny how the current embouchure thread is also delving into the biting prob.

LOL. Taz I kid you not .My last visit to the dentist was in 1984 they did an X Ray and discovered that some of my 2nd teeth had not sprouted and that I was to go to hospital and get them out.

Well being scared of the " D" I was out of there ASAP and have not been back. I now buy all my dental supplies on line.

www.dental-directory.co.uk/DentalDirectory/Default.aspx

and I do my own fillings , Also done 2 or 3 extractions. Not nice at all. using long nose pliers and a bottle of scotch

I could have saved myself a lot of Pain if only I`d used a dentist

Hi Everybody

Just come home after 2 weeks hols,missed my sax like crazy but couldn't wait to get back to it because I know from past holidays that there is always a big improvement in my playing after a break.And there was too, but this time I seem to have developed a need to bite through my bottom lip whilst practising.It is something that has happened before but I can't seem to stop doing it this time.Has anyone got any hints or advice on how to stop this,apart from throwing away the sax of course,that's not an option.john:(

I've had a look at your profile and it says you have been playing sax for two years. I have been playing for six years and my embouchure has changed over those years so subtly that only after reading your post have I realised that not only do I no longer bite into my bottom lip but actually, there is no chance that I ever will again! The reason for this is that without noticing, my lower teeth no longer support my lip. I have looked at a few players on youtube and almost without exception they use the lip-out form [as I now do] as opposed to the lip-in where the bottom lip is folded over the teeth.

I suggest you just wait and perhaps you too will no longer need the support of your teeth.

Keep playing and perhaps armed with this knowledge you may be able to speed up the change in embouchure that will keep your bottom lip in pristine condition.

Cheers and good luck

Mart

What I have found is that I have developed a Scar tissue pad behind my lower lip. this took about a couple of years to form and is maintained by Practicing regularly.

It`s funny how the current embouchure thread is also delving into the biting prob.

LOL. Taz I kid you not .My last visit to the dentist was in 1984 they did an X Ray and discovered that some of my 2nd teeth had not sprouted and that I was to go to hospital and get them out.

Well being scared of the " D" I was out of there ASAP and have not been back. I now buy all my dental supplies on line.

www.dental-directory.co.uk/DentalDirectory/Default.aspx

and I do my own fillings , Also done 2 or 3 extractions. Not nice at all. using long nose pliers and a bottle of scotch

I could have saved myself a lot of Pain if only I`d used a dentist

You don't live in the woods and fight grizzlies for fun by any chance do you,I've just been through this loose tooth thing and tried the pliers but just couldn't stand the pain(WHAT A WIMP) had to go to the dentist in the end who gave me a discount on the extraction because it was so loose. I just can't imagine the filling thing:w00t:john

psI can't find the embouchure thread OK FOUND IT

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a look at your profile and it says you have been playing sax for two years. I have been playing for six years and my embouchure has changed over those years so subtly that only after reading your post have I realised that not only do I no longer bite into my bottom lip but actually, there is no chance that I ever will again! The reason for this is that without noticing, my lower teeth no longer support my lip. I have looked at a few players on youtube and almost without exception they use the lip-out form [as I now do] as opposed to the lip-in where the bottom lip is folded over the teeth.

I suggest you just wait and perhaps you too will no longer need the support of your teeth.

Keep playing and perhaps armed with this knowledge you may be able to speed up the change in embouchure that will keep your bottom lip in pristine condition.

Cheers and good luck

Mart

Hi moz

This just what I'm looking for it's nearly three years now and for the first 18 months I didn't have a problem at all then it started and it just seems to get worse I keep trying to adopt the lip out embushure as shown on you tube by JERRY BERGONZI but my lip keeps tightening up and pushing itself against my teeth and the pain starts thanks ..john

I have to say, joking aside, that I suffer quite badly with the same problem. Mine stems from a chipped front tooth and a tremendous fear of the dentist. I just tend to put up with the taste of blood after a long gig!

Hi Taz

I think it's a similar problem,not chipped but one lower tooth slightly more prominant than the ohers that digs into the gum,I was just wondering if there were any embouchure exercises you can do to aleviate the problem Clivey mentioned a thread but I can't find it....john FOUND IT

Hi Taz

I think it's a similar problem,not chipped but one lower tooth slightly more prominant than the ohers that digs into the gum,I was just wondering if there were any embouchure exercises you can do to aleviate the problem Clivey mentioned a thread but I can't find it....john FOUND IT

Do you use a mouthpiece cushion? for years I played with my lips covering both upper and lower teeth. which invariably left me with deep painful grooves, however when I started using a cushion, I found that I no longer exerted as much pressure on the mouthpiece
hope this helps.