support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Biting holes in my mouthpiece

I was thinking that Jon. I've got some yellow and green stuff. All sorts of other colours as well, like Pee Dee has. If you use self amalgamating tape it could bind the reed on at the same time (trouble is it would probably never come off, so perhaps not a good idea.....).

Well chaps, I think I have the solution.

On Saturday morning I put a piece of plastic coke bottle on the mouthpiece with double sided sticky tape. I made it oversize and trimmed the perimeter with a modellers knife once it was in place, being VERY careful not to nick the mouthpiece itself.

I practiced all afternoon and played 'out' all evening. My playing wasn't affected...I wasn't really aware it was there...and at the end of the evenig... hardly a mark on it.

Sorted.

Martin

Hey, you've cracked it:welldone
Now I'm thinking of replacing my lig with a couple of rounds of that flashy earth tape as well. Might be a bit of hassle changing reeds though.:(

There are hard plastic mouthpiece patches available as was pointed out.
IMHO you're playing on a very wide tip opening. I wouldn't have tried that after only a year's playing. I use 2.5 reeds on my 7 so on a 9* it's going to require some blowing!

Your top teeth should rest on the mouthpiece and be pretty motionless. Check your sling is adjusted correctly so you're not putting undue pressue on because of that.

If you don't take the right amount of mouthpiece in it can affect how much pressure is needed to apply to the reed. If you're struggling try altering that amount.

I like mouthpieces and reeds to be fairly easy to get on with. I don't want to be straining to produce a sound. I would expect a softer reed and more relaxed embouchure would help but on a 9.5 MP you need a fair amount of control. Why so wide?

There are hard plastic mouthpiece patches available as was pointed out.
IMHO you're playing on a very wide tip opening. I wouldn't have tried that after only a year's playing. I use 2.5 reeds on my 7 so on a 9* it's going to require some blowing!

Your top teeth should rest on the mouthpiece and be pretty motionless. Check your sling is adjusted correctly so you're not putting undue pressue on because of that.

If you don't take the right amount of mouthpiece in it can affect how much pressure is needed to apply to the reed. If you're struggling try altering that amount.

I like mouthpieces and reeds to be fairly easy to get on with. I don't want to be straining to produce a sound. I would expect a softer reed and more relaxed embouchure would help but on a 9.5 MP you need a fair amount of control. Why so wide?

Thanks for the advice.

I played my old alto with a narrow tip mouthpiece (selmer C*) and a number 3 reed for many, many years, before discovering how much better it sounds with a wider tip openning. I put a Berg Larsen 80/2 on it and the guys who I play with nearly fell off their chairs when I let it rip for the first time! Instant convert! So when I bought a tenor, I immediately ordered a piece with a wider tip (RPC115). I play that with a 2.5 reed and sometimes it feels too soft...occasionally I clamp it shut when I'm really giving it some...thinking to try a 3 on it. I also ordered the PPT 9*. I admit, I wondered whether I'd handle it and to be honest, with a 2.5 reed, it just about breaks my jaw after half an hour, but with a RJS 2S, it's very comfortable. I can get a wicked 'raw' sound out of it when required...spot on for R&B.

After about 3 decades of total abstinance from new equipment, I've finally discovered the advantage of trying some of this and some of that. Perhaps I'm even getting too carried away. I ordered a new alto today and an RPC 80 mouthpiece for it...can't wait...better reign myself in soon though or I'll be bankrupt.

My coke bottle patches have now been in use for a few weeks and it's time to put a new one on the PPT 9*. On the RPC 115, the original one is still OK. Cheap and cheerful.

Cheers,
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
I've developed this problem now and checked the posts cos I knew someone else would have had this carry on as well. There's been a weeny hole for a couple of weeks, it got a bit worse last week then last night it got into a bigger hole. I thought my front teeth were going wobbly but then I was spitting out bits of rubber every few minutes and I realised what it was. Will try the coke bottle method for a quick fix before getting any more. Does it come off easily or does it need some sort of cleaner? I don't want to start picking away at it like a beermat and end up with it half on half off and bits all over.

Thanks for posting this thread - I had been experiencing a similar problem with my embouchure, but mainly because after a 25 year hiatus (and not many 48 year olds wear retainers) my front teeth had shifted slightly. The dentist refused to "even them out". No wear on the mouthpiece, just not able to line my teeth up properly. The electrical tape worked for me - 3 layers, and just received my order for the somewhat squishy and clear mouthpiece protectors (4 per pkg.). What a difference. Your coke bottle piece idea is ingenious - glad it is working. :)