All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Bill from Australia

wilardon

Hi all this is one great place to find out so much about an instrument I have been playing for more than 20 yrs. So many things I have wondered about the instrument and how we play it have been revealed to me

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Hi Bill and welcome from another Antipodean. You didn't mention where you are from. I hang out part time near Cairns. If in the area can catch up sometime? Cheers.

Rikki

Hi Bill,

And a warm welcome from another Aussie! I live in Castle Hill, Sydney. Look forward to hearing more from you!

Regards Rikki

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Welcome to the cafe Bill:)

I wish I had started learning 20 years ago.

Jx

Saxade

Hi
Welcome from ... Me ! ... former Tasmanian ... now long time Western Australian ;}

Adrian

wilardon

Hi Wade
Thanks for the kind offer...Well id love to be able to afford the airfair,:) but Im in Tomerong on the south coast of NSW about 2hrs drive from sydney. I do know some musos in cairns Mark Bourk (Bourky) Bass player and Tom Waters guitar, theyd be about 50 odd, played around cairns alot in the 90s. I still think they are up there.

I am looking forward to talking to any one about playing saxophone. I play a Yani tennor I am real keen to try one of petes metal mouth pieces but must way up the cost. I am using an Otto Link 8* tone edge at the moment I also have a Berglarsen 120m metal but find it too edgy. I have learnt so much about the design of mouth pieces recently I never realy gave them much thought. Info was real scarce or hard to find when I first started to play and ive just cruised along with the Otto brand. I would realy like to start trying something else. Have you any experience with the PPT mouth pieces?

Keep a honkin

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Hi Bill. The mouthpiece thing is very personal. I've never tried the PPT, but have gone through a bunch of others. The odd thing is that I seem to alternate between what are opposites when paying Tenor. I use an Australian made Zagar Cool School that plays at PPP sub-toning and has no baffle. My other style is either a MBII or Lamberson DD8. These are both huge sounding loud pieces with big baffles but can also sub-tone and play softly (but with some edge). Have also played Morgans, Link, RPC, Yani, Jody Jazz, Vandoren, Selmer, Yamaha, etc. The preferred mouthpieces are different makers for alto, soprano, and sopranino as it seems to me that styles of manufacture may work for one sax and not work for another. This gets further complicated by individual saxes working better with one mouthpiece rather than another.

What sound are you after? What style do you play (or want to play)? No point in playing a MBII if you want to sound like Dexter.

Don't know the guys you mentioned in Cairns as I'm up n the Tablelands and rarely get down to Cairns.

Cheers.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Welcome aboard Bill hope you enjoy the cafe we're all pretty harmless in here,I loved your thoughts on MPC's Wade...john

Taz

Busking Oracle
Oh great, Electric company, phone company, water company council tax car tax and fuel and now I get a Bill from Australia! How much is that one going to cost me?

Oh, Bill, as in William? Welcome to the cafe

wilardon

Thanks Wade for the info and your experience with mouth pieces

To answer your questions

Ive played Generally Rock pop pub covers bands in the past got a bit bored standing around on stage waitnig for my solo or what ever. L young has been an influence. I practice a lot to rythm and blues and like playin subtone slow slury style Blues, still, ill have a go at anything. Im also playing in a community jazz orchestra and helping out with a high school jazz band.

Recently... I've decided people need more exercise:).... so Ive been playing music that makes people wanna get up and dance. Playin more up tempo..... Rockabilly & Jump blues. I love the energy and raw sound of this era. I think if I played guitar I'd buy a Gretch the hollow guitar body rock and roll style sound seems to fit well with the sax. I have been listening to a lot of Lee Allen, little Richard, and heaps of others out of the late 40 s to late 50s era.

You mention the Australian made Zagar Cool School that plays at PPP sub-toning and has no baffle, could you explain what you mean by this? Im curious about the no baffel design ??? What is the principal behind this?

Again Thanks for paying the Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom