PPT mouthpieces

Big-band latin feel tune with alto sax playing the theme and solo

Karolis

Locality
Lithuania
Ok. So this one is haunting me for quite some time ( 15 years or so...). Every time I hear it on the radio it gives me the goosebumps, but as always jazz radios never announce the tunes, so I don't know the name the composer or the artist playing it. I'm sure some of you pundits know exactly of which tune I am talking about. I would say it was recorded sometime between late 70's to late 90's .( not earlier) It has a Bigband playing a riff between the theme and the solos. Starts with alto sax playing the theme, then followed by piano solo, then sax solo, and sax playing the theme again. As I mentioned it is in a latin feel. Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

Approximate tempo ?

You say "Latin feel" but can you tell us more (e.g. Samba, Bossa, Pop Latin) ?

Any thoughts about the style of the alto (e.g. Sanborn-esque, like Phil Woods, Smooth Jazz, lots of growling, funky) ?

Is the piano electric piano or acoustic (or even synth) ?

Lots of Latin percussion instruments or just a drum kit ?

Do you think it may have been from a film or TV show ?

Any vocals at all ?

Definitely a full big band rather than just a horn section in a pop band ?

I wonder whether someone will solve the mystery - hope so.

Rhys

Last edited:
How many syllables? Perhaps you could video yourself dancing to the tune while you hum it in your head and we can guess from your moves?

Get yourself Shazam or another such magical app and hunker down by your radio with it tuned to 'Jazz'! Call the Radio Station and ask them? Google 'Latin Big Band Jazz numbers' and spend a day searching!

Other than that, I'm out of ideas! I'm sure if the thread goes on long enough, it (might) appear. ;)

Approximate tempo ?

> I would say between 105 to 120 BPM

You say "Latin feel" but can you tell us more (e.g. Samba, Bossa, Pop Latin) ?

> The rhythm section plays a close to samba groove.

Any thoughts about the style of the alto (e.g. Sanborn-esque, like Phil Woods, Smooth Jazz, lots of growling, funky) ?

> If I had to pick one out of these, I would say more Sanborn-esque with quite a few altissimo notes in the solo, energetic.

Is the piano electric piano or acoustic (or even synth) ?

> could be electric.

Lots of Latin percussion instruments or just a drum kit ?

Drum kit and bongos perhaps?

Do you think it may have been from a film or TV show ?

>Doubt it.

Any vocals at all ?

> None. The main hero is the soloist alto sax with a brief piano solo.

Definitely a full big band rather than just a horn section in a pop band ?

>Yup. :)

The riff has a flavour of Michel Camilo. Try the album One More Once. It's not obscure though - you may know it. Alto would likely be Chris Hunter.

Tenor player Ralph Bowen played a great solo on that album too. Possibly also Paquito d'Rivera on the album?

Other than that, that feel and period try GRP All Stars. Is the alto solo blues-based language or bebop?

Other than that, that feel and period try GRP All Stars. Is the alto solo blues-based language or bebop?

I will check your suggestions Pete. The solo language is more funk based with bebop elements.

Gerald Albright was the featured altoist in the Phil Collins big band.

I’m not too familiar with his style, but it could be him.

It only took you a year man : good going ;)
( a year to the day oddly enough : well if we don't hear from you before then this time 2021 I guess...7.30 p.m. !! )