Tutorials

Big Band Gig

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
This sounds really good @nigeld ! I play in 2 amateur Big Bands and this sounds much better than both of them - especially the trumpet section. The pianist is very talented too.

It could well be due to the recording (trumpets have a more piercing sound) but I didn't notice so much that the Bari's drowned out the Tenor Sax but that the trumpets did during his solo. The question arises why you would want to play with 1 tenor and 2 baris ;)

Last edited:
OP
nigeld

nigeld

I don't need another mouthpiece; but . . .
Subscriber
I din;t notice so much that the Bari's drowned out the Tenor Sax but that the trumpets did during his solo. The question arises why you would want to play with 1 tenor and 2 baris ;)
The trumpets sound loud in the recording because I had attached the recorder to the band director's music stand and he was playing trumpet.

We are a community band, so the numbers depend a bit on who turns up. We normally have about 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, 2 baris, 4 tenors, and anything up to 8 altos! (We now have a waiting list for altos.) But this gig was arranged at the last minute and only one tenor player could come. So she had a busy time doing all the solos - normally they share.

It's quite nice having 2 baris - not so lonesome. And it doesn't matter if one of us can't come to a gig as long as the other one can.

Last edited:

Ivan

Undecided
Great gruff bari... the beating heart of the band

Band sounds great and I love the vocal interjections... adds exuberance

Once you realise where the mic is placed you can just about forgive the trumpet...

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
In my community band, I'm usually sat just in front of the trumpets, I'm going to get some ear defenders.

Do you play regular gigs @nigeld, or just ad-hoc?

Top Bottom