All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Big Band ? Err not really

Colin the Bear

I've been looking for some new pieces to busk with. I keep getting asked for Glen miller but it's a bit thin playing big band on a solo alto. However I was flipping through some music files and I came across American Patrol. Mmm , I wonder.

So I started giving it a run through. Once I'd got the basic elements I thought I'd record it to see how I was doing. I've got my head round it but not quite my lips and fingers. This attempt made me laugh out loud and I've put it here for your entertainment.

DeadAudiolink Removed

Portsmouth Symphonia here I come.

Chris

Well Known
Subscriber
It works, made me smile anyway. Whole new meaning to "a one man (Big) band"..

llamedos

Oh boy did that take me back!! It's true that here we have the ultimate one man big band.

Thanks.

Dave

Colin the Bear

Thanks chaps.

I'm off out at it tomorrow so I'll give it a go and see how they react. There's a few more more twiddly bits to fit in, but it's a compromise between getting the arrangement in, breathing and keeping the swing going.

A pity the dinky-do mic I'm using doesn't differentiate the registers more.

MellowD

Lost In Theory
Thanks chaps.

A pity the dinky-do mic I'm using doesn't differentiate the registers more.
Love it Colin! Had a nice listen to some of your other tracks while there on SoundCloud too.

I've not heard of "Dinky-Do" is that a UK or European branding? ;}

sushidushi

Mine's an espresso
That is excellent. How did you do the 'wobbly' think just after the minute mark...?

Colin the Bear

That is excellent. How did you do the 'wobbly' think just after the minute mark...?

I had to play the track then get the alto out to see what i was doing. Running out of air is what I was doing. Fluttering the diaphragm to make it last to the end of the phrase. I didn't have a mouthful left to circular myself out of trouble. I'm still working on breathing with this piece. I've just about got the fingers sorted but I keep catching myself out putting to many other band parts in and running out of breath. It's coming though. It's quite a challenge remembering it. I haven't worked out where the emergency exits are yet lol

Colin the Bear

I try to get the alto to sound different to immitate the different sections of the big band. That bit is trombones and I think I may have added a little voice. It sounds like the bark is a mixture of overloading the mic by changing from softly played upper register to full bore lower and the reed not just quite handling it and me fighting to get rid of an over tone and ending up with a split tone.

The only mic I use is clipped on the bell so low notes sound differently on the recording than in the room. My tone is much better in the room too.

To be honest it was just a quick play through of a piece I've just got my head round. Sometimes when practicing I don't notice mistakes and errors so recording it helps see what I'm doing and I can cast a critical eye over myself.

It made me laugh so I thought I'd share it. It's a little better today.

compound

Colin with a sound and technique like that, you should be fronting your own Trio/ Quartet. Excellent sound clips.
Rob.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Colin with a sound and technique like that, you should be fronting your own Trio/ Quartet. Excellent sound clips.
Rob.
Your welcome to come to the meet on Tues if you want to meet a few of the lads .....john

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Have you got the dots for this Colin,it's something we could learn as a group if you bring them along to the meet ...John

compound

Your welcome to come to the meet on Tues if you want to meet a few of the lads .....john
Thank's for the offer john, but i'm afraid Tues is my disabled mother in laws shopping day. It takes all afternoon, but thanks anyway, don't blow the windows out!
Rob.

Colin the Bear

Have you got the dots for this Colin,it's something we could learn as a group if you bring them along to the meet ...John
No dots I just listened to the CD a few times. I think I've been listening to Glen Miller since I was 16 ish when my friends dad was playing it. My friend couldn't understand why I liked it and was trying to get me into ELP. I liked them too.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom