All profit supporting   special needs music

Software BiaB: Has anyone used the style editor?

I would love to know how to make my own themes for BiaB. Unfortunately, the style editor in only available on Windows (or is it still available?). BiaB comes so close to makiing really good backing tracks, but the style choice is limited. Sure there are tons of bossa and latin and country styles, but true jazz, not that many and the fusion ones are not different enough.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
I've got BiaB 2015 (on Win 7) which has various Real Styles, other Real Tracks instruments and also all of the Midi styles and tracks. I have got as far as putting different Tracks, both Real and Midi into an existing Real Style and saving that with a new style name.

I think that the Real Styles on offer are good for what they are and amazingly better than anyone might have imagined ten or more years ago. I wonder whether it is a case of people who are very familiar with a particular genre will be a bit disappointed with the limitations of related styles but other people will be mightily impressed.

Last week a friend shared with me a backing track he had been given for a jazz tune he was working on. The backing came from iReal Pro and was not good - very repetitive, not human, poor instrument sounds. I quickly knocked up what I thought was an impressive backing from BiaB using the fast bop jazz Real Style, complete with pushes in all the right places and a decent feel. His reaction was that it was "good, but not like having a real bebop pianist". I think it was approximately 10,000 times better than the naff sounding iReal Pro backing, but there you go ...

Rhys

Yes, I broke down and bought BiaB (I owned it on Windows years ago, even translated it for them). It's 100 times better that iReal Pro which is fine for practicing, but not creating. I'm not clear on what you did when you say you interested real tracks into an existing style. Is the editor, which I cannot see used to create new styles or do you need to start from a template? And what kind of freedom is there for making styles? Maybe I'm yearning for something that isn't going to be much better than the existing tracks?

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Yes, I broke down and bought BiaB (I owned it on Windows years ago, even translated it for them). It's 100 times better that iReal Pro which is fine for practicing, but not creating. I'm not clear on what you did when you say you interested real tracks into an existing style. Is the editor, which I cannot see used to create new styles or do you need to start from a template? And what kind of freedom is there for making styles? Maybe I'm yearning for something that isn't going to be much better than the existing tracks?

All I did was take an existing Real Style and add an additional Real Track or swap out an acoustic bass and replace that with a tuba or something. When I was happy with the overall combination and the positions and relative volumes of the instruments I saved that with a new style name - it must have been easy and I guess it was covered in the BiaB help. I have also made some percussion "loops" for some Latin styles and they worked well.

I think that BiaB allows more sophisticated editing than I have attempted, for instance with defining new drum patterns and fills but I wouldn't know what to aim for there.

Over on the other saxophone forum one of the members is "Notes Norton" who has years and years of experience of developing new BiaB styles and selling them - have a look at his website. That experience goes back to the all Midi days and I don't know whether he deals with Real Tracks and styles. But I guess that even Midi styles can be made to sound pretty good in these days of Samples - Norton has a webpage comparing Midi vs Real Tracks.

Rhys

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have BiaB 2012. If you pick a style with midi instruments you can delete an instrument and ask it to regenerate that instrument with a real one from the menu.
Or pick a trio and add instruments from the real tracks.
There are several solo pianos you can add to, then mute the piano.
Pick and mix.
Personally I think the "style" comes from getting the tempo right for what you're going to play over it.

I would like to understand exactly what freedoms one has with the style editor.

1. Can a style be created froml scratch?
2. Besides changing instruments or between MIDI and Real Tracks, what other operations can one perform?
For example, can you change 12/8 to 4/4 ?
Can you take a drum loop and use it as a basis for a sytle?

I don't have a Windows box handy, but if I did, I might like to have this style editor if it allows major changes.

I will try to reach out to Norton, I'm familiar with his website and products. I probably bought some over the years.