support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories BG s80 Sax Strap

What is pictured looks a lot like the Rico d'Addario I use. I tried two with ribbon, but they slipped. This bootlace one works fine...doesn't slip. But the part that goes around my neck was too narrow, making for too much concentration of pressure. So I cut out the wider, cusioned segment from another strap (ribbon-style, that slipped) and fixed it to the narrow strap on the Rico. Works fine. (How did I attach the cushiony segment? I used several short pieces of adhesive hook-and-loop ("Velcro") fastener.)

I had one that turned up with a saxophone I bought. Tried it and sold it on. BG stuff seems very overpriced to me.

I bought one of these for each horn case when they were £4 ish. They are very practical and the carabiner style hook is easy to use and quite secure. They've gone up a bit but still much cheaper than a BG

I've been using straps from here for years and I'm very happy with them. Now I see they only do international via eBay and their shipping costs are ridiculous, especiif you buy a single one!

I bought 3 to match my outfit or mood!

At the risk of turning this into a 'This is what I bought' thread. I'm going to tell you what I bought ;)

Not had any experience with a BG strap, but I bought a Cebulla around 18 Months ago. I've not once in that time had the thought "I need a new sling". It's a shoe string type with a very well padded and comfortable neck strap that isn't showing any signs of wear.

Appreciate these things are very personal and everyone will have a recommendation, but just in case you wanted an alternative recommendation :p YNMMV (your neck mileage may vary..)

I concur with the Cebulla padded leather bootlace strap, nicely comfortable and easily adjustable with no slippage during a rehearsal or energetic gig. However the first one I bought had a nice looking metal (brass?) clicklock hook but I noticed it started to cause a reasonable amount of wear on the sax strap ring so I stopped using it and purchased the same strap but with a nylon hook. I wondered if leather was the best thing to use on sweaty 2.5 hr gigs but it has stood the test of time nicely.

I'm thinking of trying a boot lace style strap and I like this one. The question is, has anyone any experience of these BG straps?

The day you drop your sax because of either a dodgy strap or hook is the day you take a belt and braces approach. I have an ancient 2 inch webbing type strap from the 70s with a replacement dog leash hook which I also have reinforced with a tiny cable tie. It's quite a comfortable strap for at least 2 hours but it's slow to adjust.
I used to jump and dance a lot and still tend to do quite a bit of movement when playing out.
Oh I have only dropped a sax once,touch wood.

The day you drop your sax because of either a dodgy strap or hook is the day you take a belt and braces approach.

I had a plastic clip hook snap on me within the first twelve months of owning a sax. Luckily I caught the horn before it hit the floor. I still use the webbed strap but it now has a carabiner rather than a plastic hook. It has been put through more than any strap should be and never let me down.

strap.jpg

But I find the webbing detracts in photographs (when you're selling a band, every aspect of the band's image has to be considered) and I'm wondering if the thicker strap makes moving that little bit harder.

The one I linked to has a metal snap hook. This did seem harder than the instrument ring so I slid on a short length of fish tank air line. Worked great. I was amused to find the next two I ordered had the airline, or something very similar, already fitted. Great minds...

I had a plastic clip hook snap on me within the first twelve months of owning a sax. Luckily I caught the horn before it hit the floor. I still use the webbed strap but it now has a carabiner rather than a plastic hook. It has been put through more than any strap should be and never let me down.

View attachment 13252

But I find the webbing detracts in photographs (when you're selling a band, every aspect of the band's image has to be considered) and I'm wondering if the thicker strap makes moving that little bit harder.

And yet they let you wear that hat? ;)

Back
Top Bottom