support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Between the Notes - quarter tones

My maths teacher at school used to use the “music is maths” argument as reasoning for why I should be better and more interested in the subject.

My answer was “then how is it that you have no capability as a musician and I have none as a mathematician?”.

I rest my case..

Just thought I'd park this here

Pythagoras was wrong: There are no universal musical harmonies, study finds

I’ve found it interesting how the usual definitions of discords/concords became a thing of the past for me (and I presume many musicians).

Discordant (or ugly?) to me is having an out of tune singer or player, clashing against the rest of the players/harmony.

Or poor arrangements/scoring. Some people find the ma7 to be discordant when in the middle of a ma7 chord. Or even at the top.

IMO it's fine in the middle of a chord but not so fine when voided with root at the top., e.g.:

(maj)7
Though if it went to the A below it has good context. The question is whether it's heard as discordant or not, or just tension/relase, or just part of the sound tapestry :confused:

Though if it went to the A below it has good context
The A below?
The question is whether it's heard as discordant or not, or just
I was just saying if there is a semitone between the maj7 and the root at the top of the chord it doesn't work for me. I may not use the word discordant, it just sounds wrong to me. and a singer trying to sing the root would quite possibly not be happy if there is a major 7 immediately below.

I find a semitone interval anywhere else in a chord voicing is fine.

Last edited:
The A below?

I was just saying if there is a semitone between the maj7 and the root at the top of the chord it doesn't work for me. I may not use the word discordant, it just sounds wrong to me. and a singer trying to sing the root would quite possibly not be happy if there is a major 7 immediately below.

I find a semitone interval anywhere else in a chord voicing is fine.
Yep, the A below. I guess this is just an old fashioned 7-6 suspension then. Used more in an Am where it's a standard 9-8. Many a TV theme.

Back
Top Bottom