support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Best current UK offerings for Chinese sax

HappyReeder

Locality
Israel
Hi all, new member here (though long time lurker). Back in 2009, I was lucky enough to get in one one of the 2nd generation Bauhaus Walstein's (phosphor bronze tenor) from Woodwind and Brass, and the transaction was great, it's been holding up perfectly well, it's effortless to play and has a great tone, etc.. O.k. key mechanism is not the slickest in the world, but I wasn't expecting it to be for that price point. So all in all, a big win.

Now, I'm looking to possibly replace my Bundy II alto - think I'd just finally like something with a more modern feel to it - and I'm once again looking into the UK offerings, as the local market here in Israel is extremely expensive, whether new or used.

What - if it even exists today - would be the modern equivalent of the Bauhaus Walstein in terms of price point and quality. It would need to be from a major shop that ships internationally, has consistent track record, does at least some kind of play test before shipping out, etc.

Ideally I'd be looking at something like a used Yamaha, but there is not much available here on the used market, and I'm a bit reluctant to buy something used internationally without being able to try it first.

If you are in the UK have a look at Hanson Musical Instruments website..they are happy for try before buy.

What's your budget?

I'm struggling to think of any other new cheapie altos. Sakkusu Tick has been superseded. Jericho are discontinued.

Hanson do an almost cheapie: Hanson SAV-Lite Alto Saxophone

It's a progression from the old SA5 and Eclipse models from years ago.

There's Headwind in the UK - you would want to make sure that they set it up before it leaves the shop.

Or Thomann in Germany
I'm not sure that they check the saxophones before they leave the shop, but they have a good return policy.

Kessler in the USA have a good reputation, but they are not super-cheap

If you are in the UK have a look at Hanson Musical Instruments website..they are happy for try before buy.
No, I'm in Israel, it's just that I had great experience in the past with sourcing a horn from the UK.

Sakkusu Tick has been superseded. Jericho are discontinued.
Yes, I've saw that those were well rated... Any idea about the newer newer Sakkusu Deluxe?

Thanks everyone, I'm starting to suspect that the quality/consistency at this price point (say 500 GBP range) really just peaked out with the BW, and perhaps a few others that were mentioned above but that are also no longer available, and that there just might not be similar product on the marketplace today :(

There is the Jean Paul line of saxophones. They are from the US. Sax.co.uk has reviewed them quite favorably among some others on youtube eg Jay Metcalf from Bettersax. They would be in your price range. If they stand up longterm one needs to see. They seem to be rather new to the market.

Alphorn

There is the Jean Paul line of saxophones. They are from the US. Sax.co.uk has reviewed them quite favorably among some others on youtube eg Jay Metcalf from Bettersax. They would be in your price range. If they stand up longterm one needs to see. They seem to be rather new to the market.

Alphorn
Yeah, saw that one last night, on the other hand, the sirvalorsax review was not as encouraging.

Don't forget that Sax.co.uk stopped selling BW horns due to quality issues so you may be as lucky with another Chinese maker as you were with your own BW, i.e. it doesn't need fettling or the neck doesn't tarnish big time (as it did with my BW alto).

Have you made contact with a sax tech in Israel? I mean, have you either used one for minor adjustments or have you simply found one with good reviews? If so, why not have a chat with him/her and ask their opinion on buying a used Yamaha, unseen, and having it serviced. I've had maybe twenty Yamahas and can't recall any large repair bills. Most need a few pads replaced, maybe a few dents removed, but they're tough old beasts and can stand up to some abuse without detriment. You'd still need to gamble on finding one in the UK that's not too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found a mint condition (so he says) BW AS-PD to match your tenor. It's in south London.
Fly to Heathrow > bus/train to sax.
£475.
Update: I messaged the seller. He will ship but I've just explained you're in Israel.
I'll PM a link to his ad.

Last edited:
Have you made contact with a sax tech in Israel? I mean, have you either used one for minor adjustments or have you simply found one with good reviews? If so, why not have a chat with him/her and ask their opinion on buying a used Yamaha, unseen, and having it serviced. I've had maybe twenty Yamahas and can't recall any large repair bills. Most need a few pads replaced, maybe a few dents removed, but they're tough old beasts and can stand up to some abuse without detriment. You'd still need to gamble on finding one in the UK that's not too bad.

I think you're onto something here, for a similar budget, I can probably pick up a used Yamaha 23, in which case I can expand my search to all of eBay. Though, no, I don't currently have a tech, in case it needed something. I used to go to one in a music shop in Jerusalem, which is relatively close to me, but last time I was there (several years ago already) he was unfortunately having lots of trouble with his eyesight, and I'm not sure if he's working now, though I haven't called the shop yet to find out. The other tech I went to once is in Tel Aviv, which means taking a day off of work. As it is, my Bundy II has a bunch of leaks. I've gone over it with a leak light and recorded my findings, now I just need to find someone to take it to.

Did you get my PM? Not sure how many posts you need to be able to see/use the private message (conversation) feature.

If you are looking for a woodwind repair person in Israel, I can highly recommend Nitai Levi.

Google Translate
Thank you! I'll give him a call. He seems to be in Jerusalem, which is ideal for me. I've actually had his web page open for a few days now, but I was just trying to find recommendations before reaching out to anyone :) Funny that it would come up here, I guess it's a small world.

Just found a mint condition (so he says) BW AS-PD to match your tenor. It's in south London.
Fly to Heathrow > bus/train to sax.
£475.
Update: I messaged the seller. He will ship but I've just explained you're in Israel.
I'll PM a link to his ad.
Not hijacking thread but what year(s) are the best examples of the BW tenor or Alto before the decline?

Cheers

Patrick

See some reviews, here: Tenor Saxophone Reviews

Also: Saxophones - Sax.co.uk stops selling Bauhaus Walstein - Quality issues

Personally, if buying new I'd try and buy from a firm which is going to stay in business. Tricky with cheapies!
Understand Dave, but as you recommended a BW alto to the guy I thought because of issues stated previously it was strange. Plus the reviews I have seen that the sound/tone has excellent marks matching higher priced tenors horns. I have read the comment on other saxophone forums stating it declined in the final years of manufacture They do look posh. All good anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom