support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Berg Larsen sizing

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Can anyone explain to me how it works? Have been on their website and it isn't clear. I understand a 5, 6, 7 openings and upwards but how do these sizings equate to the Berg Larsen, 80, 90, 110, etc?

It's just tip openings in thousandths of an inch. Apart from the folly of using imperial measurements it's far more logical than just assigning a number, as in the 6, 7, 8 and so on. Different manufacturers use their own size scales when they don't quote actual measurements. Runyon Bionix 12? Sounds massive and unplayable, but it's the same as a Link 8.

And the other number and letters are desbribing the chamber/baffle and facing.

A BL 110 2 M is a mouthpice with a tip opening with .110 of an inch, baffle 2 and a long facing. SMS is short facing?
Clarence Clemons was playing a Berg Larsen .130/3 for a long time with LaVoz hard reed. I don't know what facing.

berglarsen.jpg

And the other number and letters are desbribing the chamber/baffle and facing.

A BL 110 2 M is a mouthpice with a tip opening with .110 of an inch, baffle 2 and a long facing. SMS is short facing?
Clarence Clemons was playing a Berg Larsen .130/3 for a long time with LaVoz hard reed. I don't know what facing.

A helpful addition, Thomsax.

One other thing to mention. Berg Larsen quality control is not all it could be, so buying something marked up as a 115 might result in a mouthpiece a bit either side of that. Also, a lot of people talk about the huge variability between mouthpieces of the same brand and how some are 'unplayable'. I've owned over 100 mouthpieces, and the only one I've ever had which was truly unplayable was a Berg Larsen. Against that, one of the best was a 125/0 Duckbill, which was great.

Back
Top Bottom