support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
  • Eligibility to post classifieds

The Yardsale is not intended for use by people joining the forum purely to sell an item, so members must have at least 40 posts to be eligible. However new members may post if they either:

• upgraded their account with an annual (not monthly) subscription. This is for access to sell without needing the 40 posts and the contribution after a successful sale still applies.
    • or pay the 5% contribution on the initial listing price up front (non refundable) then a listing will be allowed.

In either case please contact us if you are not yet able to posts

Berg Larsen alto mpc SS 80/1 M offset bullet style chamber in excellent condition

squeak

Account Closed
Locality
St. Mungo's
I have for sale a Berg Larsen alto saxophone mouthpiece 80/1 M offset (1960s) with bullet style chamber. There is virtually no corrosion. Biteplate has been replaced with a white one some time in the past. I don't know the history of the piece. My reason for selling is that I have limited time for practicing and have decided to concentrate as much as possible on tenor and not mess around too much with gear on alto. I have attached a couple of pics. The biteguard has been replaced and the slight smudge underneath at the edge cleaned off (no tooth marks). I doubt you will find pieces from this era that are much cleaner. Tip and rails unblemished.

$200 - 100% minus PayPal fees will be donated to Pete's charity. Buyer pays shipping.

Berg alto 80-1 M offset pic.jpgBerg alto 80-1 M offset pic2.jpg

I have for sale a Berg Larsen alto saxophone mouthpiece 80/1 M offset (1960s) with bullet style chamber. There is virtually no corrosion. Biteplate has been replaced with a white one some time in the past. I don't know the history of the piece. My reason for selling is that I have limited time for practicing and have decided to concentrate as much as possible on tenor and not mess around too much with gear on alto. I have attached a couple of pics. The biteguard has been replaced and the slight smudge underneath at the edge cleaned off (no tooth marks). I doubt you will find pieces from this era that are much cleaner. Tip and rails unblemished.

$200 - 100% minus PayPal fees will be donated to Pete's charity. Buyer pays shipping.

View attachment 1669View attachment 1670
Hi,is it a slant signature,how do you know its 1960.
Regards.

Hi,is it a slant signature,how do you know its 1960.
Regards.
No, it isn't a slant. I thought these were (much) older. My understanding that Bergs stopped having the M/SMS offset from around 1970. I own a Berg Baritone from that time and it still has the coarse mill marks but the M is in-line.

After a closer look, I must admit that this alto piece does look suspiciously perfect for a Berg and the markings fine. I suppose someone might have worked on it, but whomever did knew what (s)he he was doing.

BTW, I am 'brasscane" from SOTW.

This is still for sale with the full amount minus PayPal donated to Pete's charity. Contrary to my statement above, I do not believe it has been refaced. I have found a Rovner that fits and even with the Rovner (I happen to like them), the piece plays like gangbusters.

To Pete: in case you should stumble across this thread and have an interest in selling the piece through your web-site, I will be happy to send it to you from within Europe at no expense to you.

Zero interest. So perhaps the price is too high even though it did not come cheaply and I have asked Mark Sepinuck on how to price it reasonably. I will leave it here until the end of the month and then pull the plug on the sale/donation if not sold. Meanwhile, feel free to make me an offer. I will entertain anything remotely reasonable. Just don't flip it for personal gain please.

Hi, I think the problem you have is that the majority of regulars on this forum are based in Europe. I presume that because you've priced in dollars, you're in the US. If I were to buy the piece from you, it would cost about £125 at today's exchange rate. But then there's the problem that I'd get charged VAT on import at 20%, plus a customs handling charge. With shipping costs, that's about £180 (or nearly $290). The new price of these mouthpieces is £150-£180, and you can get them from Germany for about £130 shipped. OK, you'd probably have to play a few until you found a really good one, (and yours may well still be a better piece).

You've made an incredibly generous offer with the donation, and I hope it finds a good home, but maybe the above explains why there hasn't been much interest.

Jon

Hi, I think the problem you have is that the majority of regulars on this forum are based in Europe. I presume that because you've priced in dollars, you're in the US. If I were to buy the piece from you, it would cost about £125 at today's exchange rate. But then there's the problem that I'd get charged VAT on import at 20%, plus a customs handling charge. With shipping costs, that's about £180 (or nearly $290). The new price of these mouthpieces is £150-£180, and you can get them from Germany for about £130 shipped. OK, you'd probably have to play a few until you found a really good one, (and yours may well still be a better piece).

You've made an incredibly generous offer with the donation, and I hope it finds a good home, but maybe the above explains why there hasn't been much interest.

Jon
Thanks, Jon! Not terribly clever, but it never occurred to me but I should state that I am presently in the EU and it will ship from within the EU if it sells before the end of this month (November 2012). As far as price goes, I think it is generally accepted that the earlier ones were better and, regardless, the pieces with offset M/SMS markings fetch higher prices. In any case, new price is 150 Euros including shipping and I will still entertain offers. Thanks again and best wishes.

This is soooo tempting. If it's not sold by the 26th, I'll make an offer. But I really shouldn't.

Thanks, Jon! Not terribly clever, but it never occurred to me but I should state that I am presently in the EU and it will ship from within the EU if it sells before the end of this month (November 2012). As far as price goes, I think it is generally accepted that the earlier ones were better and, regardless, the pieces with offset M/SMS markings fetch higher prices. In any case, new price is 150 Euros including shipping and I will still entertain offers. Thanks again and best wishes.

Aha! That puts a whole different slant on things.

Thread is dead. A bit confused as I never received a single offer on this; not even a really low one. I think I will offer the mpc on SOTW later with 50:50 to Pete and SOTW. In any case, thanks to the posters above for the help and clarifications.

Sorry it didn't sell, it was a really generous offer.

I hope you saw my pm explaining why I couldn't make an offer after all.

Yes, thank you, I completely understand. Apologies for not replying but I seem to lack some privileges in terms of what I may and may not do on this forum. In any case, it was worth a try.