All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Benefits of playing instruments

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Extract from Daily Mail

"Playing an instrument fights memory loss. Muscians have fewer age-related memory problems, says a study at Chicago's Northwestern University. It's believed playing music strengthens connections between brain cells"

At least if if I am not sounding too good I am doing some good.:welldone
:sax::sax::sax:

So keep on blowing everyone, now where did I put my sax.:confused:

Jx

TomMapfumo

But if you live for ever, playing badly, you might become a test case for involuntary euthenasia - you'll need to start thinking of others. I just hope that the local social services don't start issuing Clarinets to all the oldies that live around here.........:shocked:;}

old git

Tremendous Bore
I was going to reply to this thread but I've forgotten what I was going to say.

Alc.

When my doctor found out how long I had been a smoker he was incredulous when he saw my oxygen reading, which is quite good. I told him I had returned to saxophone-playing a few years ago; he said he would recommend that to some of his other patients. One more benefit of playing music.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
My tutor told me about one of his pupils who was told by a plastic surgeon that playing a woodwind instrument was great for your facial muscles :)

Another good reason to keep blowing

Jx

ProfJames

Elementary member
When my doctor found out how long I had been a smoker he was incredulous when he saw my oxygen reading, which is quite good. I told him I had returned to saxophone-playing a few years ago; he said he would recommend that to some of his other patients. One more benefit of playing music.
Would playing the piano help? >:)

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
A debatable subject.
There was a method, heavily advertised on Downbeat few years ago, that I always dismissed as BS.
Also Oliver Sachs says somewhere on his "Musicophilia" that perfect pitch cannot be achieved.

I have a friend (former trombone player in my sextet) that definitely got it using the Downbeat course. BUt he is quite a special musician.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and try to think of a B on soprano (concert A=440). Then check with an instrument and find out that I was right. It has something to do with the "colour" of the note, rather than the relation with other notes.
Not many people with perfect pitch actually enjoyed their gift/skill. One had to give up playing because his PP went flat and EVERYTHING sounded sharp to him. A living hell.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom