Tutorials

Benefit Checks on Spanish Pensioners.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Fell around laughing this morning when the BBC News reported that the Government were going to carry out checks on all British Pensioners drawing the State Pension and Benefits in Spain. Look out for plenty of bargains in the Yard Sales. :D

Slightly less amused now but open to any suggestions regarding how to stop them investigating Croydon Pensioners or any other sphere of CaSLM influence. :(

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
What checks, Bill? Presumably for benefits to which only uk residents are entitled?
It was on 'Today' this morning and they mentioned the Winter Heating Allowance. Checked my hour glass but it did not turn out to be April the First.
Was submitted as an attempt to be slightly amusing. Relax Roger, no extradition treaties exist between Spain and the UK. ;}

Rogerb

It wouldn't be amusing, Bill to lose my WHA.....I probably spend more on heating here than I did in UK! (Houses are built to be cool!)
And you're wrong about extradition!!

losaavedra

Ah ... Roger got in before I did (I had to go shopping!). Just for the record, anybody living in Spain, with an 'income' solely sourced from within the UK, has seen the number of Euros they get for each quid reduced by around 30% in the last 12 months. Up until August last year my wife and I survived solely on my company pension. When my UK State pension started to arrive in August (not a full State pension because I hadn't got enough qualifying years) the result was that, even with State and company pensions added together, I'm still (due to the awful exchange rate) worse off than I was at the beginning of 2008. There is no entitlement to the heating allowance for those that left the UK before it was introduced (we moved six months earlier than that, so don't get it). Child benefit also ceased back then (we came out with our 14 year old daughter). There's a feeling here, among the expat community, that the UK government doesn't give a monkeys once its citizens choose to move elsewhere. I think there are more important areas it should be focussing on rather than penny pinching from elderly expats who have at least contributed to the coffers for the large part of their working lives. Most UK pensioners here in Spain are at the moment far worse off than their UK counterparts.
OK, mini rant over ... don't worry Bill ... I knew you weren't being malicious!!!

I would've lightened this up with a few smileys but I can't get them to take for some reason!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Roger, Mike, don't worry, it is more accurate to say that it is the benefits to which expats are not entitled that are being picked up. So unless you are picking up your benefits in a wheel chair and then bopp9njg the night away in a bar when you think no-one is looking, you are OK. The news report suggested that £63M was claimed fraudulently.

Bill, we should be OK in Croydon. I have actually got my dad's old Zimmer frame in the shed if you really need to act up.

Moz

There's a feeling here, among the expat community, that the UK government doesn't give a monkeys once its citizens choose to move elsewhere.
The British government doesn't give a monkeys about any of it's citizens anywhere, even in the UK. So long as their benefits, expenses and wages are intact that's all they care about (there are exceptions to this but none in positions of power). If they care about anything to do with the proletariat it's to make sure we have no fun (HSE efforts to reduce noise levels at gigs and concerts), can't get anywhere to not have fun (pointless speed limits proposed on rural roads) and if you can achieve both the above then it's made as expensive as possible (fuel rises under the guise of saving the environment). In any event, they certainly want to know where we are going, who we are with, and what we are doing, this under the guise of keeping us 'safe' from terrorists. I'd rather take my chances; one can be too safe.

I'd better stop, I haven't even had a drink...oh, I'd forgotten about that, beer prices.

"Stop Martin, stop now or there'll be no space on the forum for anyone else!"

OK, I've stopped

Moz

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Now Jack Jones has turned up his toes, there is room for an Official Pensioner Saxophonist Party.

Subscriptions could be handled by CaSLM off shore accounts department and we could give Gordy, Dave and Young Wotsit the push.

Vote CaSLM, sorry, OPSP. You know it makes sense.

Pete, 10% of all donations to your charities, if you send the heavy collectors round and I haven't retired with my special CaSLM incredible pension.

losaavedra

Sixty three million quid is peanuts in any national scheme of things. I think it was Drucker who said that the worst kind of costs are 'policing' costs, especially where the amount spent on recovering perceived losses is very likely to be overtaken by the funding needed to get the money back. There's a half page advertisement by the DWP in this week's Costa Blanca News providing a 'phone number that can be used to tell them (in confidence of course) about anyone one suspects is claiming British benefits illegally. Rising to the spirit of the thing I'm toying with the idea of providing them with a list containing the names of a few hundred MPs. Shouldn't be too difficult to find them as they occasionally congregate in a big old building in Westminster!!!

Young Col

.....coming back to OG and pensioners, I see in today's news that there has been rowdyism at pensioners' cinema matinee performances, keeping seats for friends, nicking the biscuits etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there was dancing in the aisles. What I want to know is, what were you doing in Leicester, Bill, and why didn't you tell me?

Djangette

A smokescreen in my opinion - 'don't look at me with my snout in the trough claiming six figures per year, bath plugs and sex videos' .... 'Look at them so-called OAPs/disabled people claiming winter fuel allowance, when we all know it doesn't get cold in Spain during the winter!'

Oldest trick in the book - played by Hitler and his ilk ... get the lower orders to kick each other while we cream off erm the cream.

Ooops sorry went into Ben Elton mode there - Is this politics? :-D

thomsax

Todays economical crisis have very much in common with another crisis in 1873, The Panic of 1873*. Big dreams (illussions) in Austria-Hungary, France and Germany with fancy buildings ... in Vienna, Paris and Berlin led to that Great Britain lost it's position as being the first nation when it came to economics/finances. The position were taken over by USA and it has been this way to today. China and India is now ready to take over USA position ..... .

In every economical crisis we always look for "whipping boy". In the 1873 crisis the jews became the "whipping boy". It started in Central- Middle Europe who was suffering very hard from the crisis. We all now how this ended up further on??

*The Panic of 1873. Read Scott Reynolds Nelson article in "The Cronicle Review" (October 17, 2008)

Thomas

OP
old git

old git

Tremendous Bore
Chaps, chaps and chapesses,
This was started as an attempt at casting a humorous reflection on the Brit Criminal Collective on the Costa Brava.
I cannot believe that it has descended into cheap criticisms of our most noble and honest politicians.
Cease instantly, I beseech you.

support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Top Bottom