Supporting   special needs music

Beginner Sax Beginning alto sax - Advice on mouthpieces and reeds

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Forget everything you leaned on bamboo. Anything you have learned on bagpipes is also irrelevant.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I understand that it is normal to fit them halfway or so to get the right tuning, but, are mouthpieces supposed to be able to go all the way in if you need to?
It's only a starting point, you really need a tuner, phone apps are good. Mouthpieces should slide on as far as needed. Also octaves should be in tune. The way to do this is adjust the mouthpiece position so that both octaves are equally out of tune, then adjust embouchure until both at the correct pitch. Use notes at the top of the sax such as B or C, when the tube is shorter, it's more sensitive to mouthpiece position.

However there are always compromises, you will learn to make these adjustments automatically as you listen to yourself playing and work on keeping in tune.

Do let Griff give it a once over.

McAldo

Locality
Carshalton
It's only a starting point, you really need a tuner, phone apps are good. Mouthpieces should slide on as far as needed. Also octaves should be in tune. The way to do this is adjust the mouthpiece position so that both octaves are equally out of tune, then adjust embouchure until both at the correct pitch. Use notes at the top of the sax such as B or C, when the tube is shorter, it's more sensitive to mouthpiece position.

However there are always compromises, you will learn to make these adjustments automatically as you listen to yourself playing and work on keeping in tune.

Thanks for explaining so clearly, that's fascinating, tomorrow I'll give it a go and see what I manage.

McAldo

Locality
Carshalton
Forget everything you leaned on bamboo. Anything you have learned on bagpipes is also irrelevant.

Thanks, I am sure you are right and I have been making a conscious effort trying to start from fresh, but probably it will take some time and practise to rewire my lips.

McAldo

Locality
Carshalton

Griff kindly checked my alto last week and there were indeed a few leaks, now fixed.
He also sanded up the cork so now the mouthpiece go in more easily.
Now the bottom notes are easier to get and it is easier to keep it in the lower register, thanks again :)

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Griff kindly checked my alto last week and there were indeed a few leaks, now fixed.
He also sanded up the cork so now the mouthpiece go in more easily.
Now the bottom notes are easier to get and it is easier to keep it in the lower register, thanks again :)

Brilliant news :)

Jx

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom