All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Studies Beginners Book? For an over enthusiastic newbie...

ChrisC

Folks,

I am just waiting for the January sales so that I can hopefully scrape a few pounds off the price and buy my very first sax (definitely a tenor)... I will then look for a tutor and start squeaking with the best of them :) but are there any good books I could add to my Christmas list that that would a nice read and a decent foundation?

A dummies guide to playing the sax, or a good introduction? I see so many of them on Amazon etc but dont want to waste money...

Yes I know about "taming the saxophone" :D

Many thanks

ChrisC

Last edited by a moderator:

saxman80

Hi Chris,
If its the first time you've picked up a sax then you'd probably be best starting with "introducing the saxophone" book by James Rae, pretty much got it all. 25 graded lessons its a good starting point. Maybe someone else has had dealings with a different source that they can recommend.
Good Luck.
saxman80:D

ChrisC

Ah sorry yes i've played a guitar for about 30 years but never really tried to learn to read music

Justin Chune

You could also check out a teacher first. A teacher might know someone selling a sax that would suit you. I bought my first tenor from a fellow pupil. Teachers may also have a book they like their pupils to use.

So far as books go you are spoiled for choice. James Rae is a modern man and I believe his material is highly regarded by the teaching profession. A book that will take you to grade two or three is all you need right now.

Jim.

TomMapfumo

Best Sax books for a beginner, IMHO

1. The Jazz Method for Alto (or Tenor) Sax - John O'Neill. I used this when beginning sax, and sams series when learning trumpet - lots of interesting things and no silly tunes to learn - includes CD etc.

2. The Creative Saxophone series by Santin and Clark ( 4 books in the series - Creative Saxophone, Creative Saxuophone Duets, Creative Saxophone Improvising, and Creative Saxophone Workbook) has CD's for both alto and tenor sax.

Not expensive and both focus on more modern sounds, jazz, rock, blues, latin and similar.
There are others around, including Pete's work, but not experienced at trying/playing them.

Riversider

I'd certainly recommend the James Rae book(s) and also the first in the Santin and Clark series (Creative Sax).

I found these very helpful in early stages and am still using more advanced volumes by both. O'Neill's Jazz Method is good, but in my first year I got half way into it and then found it difficult. Rae is really clever, he provides really good tunes, and even if some of the early grade ones look simple, they introduce tricky aspects of timing, dotted notes, etc., so they are never dull.

TomMapfumo

The O'Neill book does take folks up to Grade 5 or so and doing that in a year without a tutor would be pushing it somewhat. The text is very good - not just music & tunes and an excellent read, especially if that is part of what the OP wants for Christmas.

I do like the addition of CD's especially if there is no tutor.
Kind regards
Tom:thumb:

Riversider

I agree, Tom, that the O'Neill book provides excellent material for further down the line —plus, among other things, the music for 'Blue Monk'! And it does start very well for beginners, with material on embouchure, breathing and fingering etc.

James Rae's books just provide the music, with an eye on technical development, and only some of them have play-along CDs. Not all play-alongs are good, but Rae's and the Santin/Clark's are excellent. The easiest play-along Rae does is a slim book called Play it Cool which is great fun with a lively CD.

ChrisC

Bah Humbug - no books given to me for Christmas - so I am opting as my 'first book' to try Pete Thomas's 'Introduction to the Saxophone DVD' and give a little support back to the site - so far all the help and assistance has come from this site :thumb: so it seems only fair...

trimmy

One day i will...
Hi Chris

Check out a shop on ebay called 'world of books 08' they sell a lot of quality 2nd hand books at very reasonable prices, iv'e just bought one for less than 1/2 original price.
They have a book on there titled 'Team woodwind' which my teacher recommends for beginners

Hope link works......World of Books Ltd it works :thumb: just type in 'saxophone' in the search

Last edited by a moderator:
Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom