All profit supporting   special needs music

Saxophones Beginner Sax

Päng

Locality
Sweden
Hello,

Im curretly looking at getting a sax and I want an alto to grow with. So I look beyond the really cheap beginner saxes and more towards intermidiate.
So Im wondering which would you recommend?
Jupiter JAS 1100Q
Yanigasawa AWO1
Selmer Axos

They all are around the same price here.

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I would add a Yamaha YAS-480 to your list. I played one yesterday and was rather impressed

You should ignore the "Starter", "Intermediate" and "Professional" labels - that's just the marketing departments trying to get us to spend more on a "better" sax. A Yamaha "starter" sax will be better made than many other "intermediate" and "professional" models, and a really good cheap Chinese starter sax will be plenty good enough for most people. The problem with the cheap Chinese instruments is quality control - you don't know whether an individual instrument is going to be a good one or not.

On the whole, second-hand saxes are better value for money than new ones because of the depreciation. A used Yamaha YAS-280 would cost far less than any of the instruments on your list, and would take you a very long way. I had one, and it was the most easy-to-play saxophone I have owned.

As far as I know, any of the saxophones on your list should be fine.
But it's best if you can try them. Even if you can't play the sax yet, you will probably prefer the feel of some over others.
Saxophone shops are used to beginners, and you can ask the assistant to play the saxophones for you to see if you prefer the sound of one.

But if you live somewhere where this is not possible, and you have the money, and you don't want take the risk of getting a second-hand instrument, then personally I would choose Yanagisawa as an excellent saxophone and a reliable low-risk choice. But that may be just brand snobbery on my part.

RavenSax

Locality
Sammamish
Hello,

Im curretly looking at getting a sax and I want an alto to grow with. So I look beyond the really cheap beginner saxes and more towards intermidiate.
So Im wondering which would you recommend?
Jupiter JAS 1100Q
Yanigasawa AWO1
Selmer Axos

They all are around the same price here.
I would try all of them. Personally I would go with a Yanigasawa or Selmer, as they can carry you a long way. Also take a look at Antigua as they can make some amazing intermediate horns. Try out the Jupiter to see if you like it, but in my experience, the jupiters aren't that great.

Locality
Ringwood, New Forest, UK
Totally agree with @nigeld - I only started playing three weeks ago, but I went to a local shop that refurbishes and sells second hand woodwind and brass instruments - it was great, listening to and playing a variety of different saxophones, and choosing the one I liked the sound of - in my case a Jupiter JAS500.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom