All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Beginner Jazz Books

trimmy

One day i will...
Can anyone recommend (what you have used yourself) to learn Jazz/Impro, i want to also learn the theory of Jazz, but need it in a book format so i can take it to work and read whilst working.

I have been looking at this.....http://tamingthesaxophone.com/jazz-theory-books.html but don't want to order a book that i can't understand or is too advanced for me, if any come with a cd all the better as i can put into practice what i'm learning at home.

Any advice would be appreciated

Ps.. I have searched through past threads and say i'll get that, then another is suggested, i get confused :confused:

pps... I suppose this is directed at those practicing/playing Jazz ??

Last edited by a moderator:

trimmy

One day i will...
Thanks Nick, Ive looked at that book and my only worry is it states Grade 4-6 which is above my capabilities I would say i'm only upto grade 2.

Sunray, I'll get that book and also the progressive Jazz as you can get it for £3.99 a bargain.

I also want to learn the theory of music/jazz, can anyone recommend a book to cover this ?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I also want to learn the theory of music/jazz, can anyone recommend a book to cover this ?
Harmony and Theory - a comprehensive source for all musicians Wyatt & Schroeder
Jazzology - Rawlins & Bahha

Some overlap between the two, but I found Jazzology went a bit too fast and needed the slower pace of the first book. I got both from Amazon.

Sunray

I am a Dummie ...

Thanks Nick, Ive looked at that book and my only worry is it states Grade 4-6 which is above my capabilities I would say i'm only upto grade 2.

Sunray, I'll get that book and also the progressive Jazz as you can get it for £3.99 a bargain.

Try this one Trimmy ...

That's the one I am learning from at present ... ;}

TomMapfumo

Hi Trimmy!

There is the first Creative Saxophone book which is at a lower level and also excellent (I also have the Workbook and Improvising books)!
Alternatively/Additionally get an ABRSM Jazz Grade 2 book and try learning some of the tunes (each tune involves 8 - 12 bars of improvisation, and the accompanying CD has 2 versions of each tune, 1 involving an actual sax playing, and one with just the backing.

Kind regards
Tom

trimmy

One day i will...
I've ordered Abrsm Jazz alto sax grade 2, also Abrsm Music theory in practice Grd 2, and i got a bargain in a book to read and enjoy in Mark Levine The Jazz theory book :) also watching a few on the bay of E which if i win will keep me active :)

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

TomMapfumo

There are some really decent tunes in the Grade 2 book - all about 2 minutes in length, and the improvisation part has some suggested notes to use for each piece. The great thing is that they are actual tunes which feature on CDs of major artists, some in a different key to make them more accessible to a players' ability. I hope you enjoy getting to know some of the tunes - Jan Garbarek, Charlie Haden, Tommy Smith, Herbie Hancock, Cannonball Adderley and others. Great fun!

Kind regards
Tom

Gallen

Good tips Tom! I'm off to check out the abrsm graded books right after this.

@trimmy - I'm using Sunray's recommendations as well - Jazz Method for Saxophone. I also just bought Dig It! For Saxophone and Piano. Darn, I need to finish books before I buy 'em :D

Alvin

trimmy

One day i will...
I think that's the problem you can buy too many books and actually bog you down because your jumping from book to book, i got Abrsm books as they are the gradings i will be taking.

Happy blowing :)

Sunray

Read it, Read it ...

Good tips Tom! I'm off to check out the abrsm graded books right after this.

@trimmy - I'm using Sunray's recommendations as well - Jazz Method for Saxophone. I also just bought Dig It! For Saxophone and Piano. Darn, I need to finish books before I buy 'em :D

Alvin
Here's a good tip for you Gallen ...

If you do manage to finish books before you buy them ...

Either - negotiate a discount [because they will be second-hand]. ;}

Or ...

Don't bother to buy them at all because you already read them mate ... :)))

TomMapfumo

Once I had the focus of the ABRSM jazz grades books I did find it helped with knowing when to get a particular book and when not to bother. I also did the Popular Music Theory Grades course run by the London College of Music as they were more approproate than the ABRSM music theory grades - more classically based/oriented). I spent moremoney on CDs than books, to be fair, as I learnt more and more about different musicians/styles of music.

Kind regards
Tom

Gallen

Good one Sunray :D

Tom: That's an interesting point. I'm not interested in getting formal qualifications, but knowing that one measures up to a certain level is certainly something I would like to know. Those ABRSM books are very expensive though :(

Alvin

TomMapfumo

I'll try and search for the best available prices. I have Grades 1 - 5 in alto sax, trumpet, and trombone and would never want to be without them, personally. £22.75 does seem pricey.

Kind regards
Tom

Just had quite an online search and £22.75 seems the going rate, plus or minus postage costs. At least it includes a professional standard CD with decent artists - the CDs for Grade 4 & 5 are about £15 a throw, so the music itself probably only makes up £7.75 or so.

Maybe there are used copies out there - Cafe members may have some lying about unused, so may be worth putting a Wanted Ad in the Yard Sale section.

trimmy

One day i will...
Received a book this morning as recommended in this thread.... The Jazz Method (alto) by John O'Neill, iv'e been reading it and practiced with it earlier, what a very very good book, i wish i had come across this book a year ago simple to understand and as said, it seems to be aimed at us adult beginners. Loving it :)

Best of all i got it off flea bay for 99p :) (£2.50 p/p) = £3.49 a bargain

TomMapfumo

It is an excellent book - in fact the first "decent" sax book for adults that I bought - albeit the tenor one when I was learning soprano. I also have the trumpet one, co-authored with Steve Waterman. What a bargain - well done that man!

Kind regards
Tom

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom