All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Beginner Sax Beginner and no any idea to buy Soprano sax

Ivan.spetsnaz

My name is John

I'm seriously looking into buying soprano sax, after spend times more than 1 month for searching i found these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370551915...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1884wt_1395
and
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370597261...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2794wt_1395

Questions
1. These brands are quite cheap (cheap price = not high quality, but I just need acceptable sound)
2. I got enough budget for my first soprano (not more than £180-200 flexible price)
3. For beginner, Should buy anything else?

Thank You
John

BigMartin

I don't know anything about the brands you mentioned. I bought a Venus soprano from Discount Musical through ebay recently, which I've been quite happy with. They're about £200 new but I got mine for about £100, as they were auctioning some pink ones (I suppose people didn't like the colour. Neither do I, but it plays OK). My sax needed a little bit of adjustment (a spring needed tightening) but I believe that's not unusual, even for more expensive saxes. You will probably need to spend another £20 or £30 on a mouthpiece (and a lot of time practising, of course!) to make it it sound nice.

llamedos

Welcome to the Caff, John.

You could have look at www.Gear4Music.com; they sell Chinese built instruments which have good reviews and are reasonably priced at the "beginner" end of the market. Good luck and happy blowing.
Dave

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Budget also for a setup as well, some of these ebay cheapos neet the pads adjusting and so on. I bought one a while ago, needed quite a bit of work getting the pads to seal without usinga vice grip on the keys. Once that was done it played nicely. But I sold it cos the family didn't like the sound.

Sunray

Finally
I won this auction http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251021101...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_499wt_1416

Do i need to buy anything else? (New
reed and new mouthpiece?)
Hey Hey Ivan ...

Welcome to the Cafe ...

If I were you I would try to see how the instrument plays for at least a few weeks at least before you consider any further purchase ... You will certainly benefit from some serious practice to help your embouchure develop ...

Try out a range of rees strengths and different makes to see if you can get the best of what you have at present ...

Good luck and have fun ... :thumb:

Ivan.spetsnaz

I got my first soprano sax already but this is nightmare for me because i got bad condition sax (many rust spot on it) and some part is broken that is so annoying, however i trying to contact seller to making refund process.

I should beleive llamedos T_T

Sunray

The eBay advert says ...

Emporer Straight Soprano Saxaphone - Brilliant Condition [Mistakes - Copied and Pasted] ... :D

Very nice condition - Ideal for learning or gigging - Little use - no big scratches or chips as you might expect from a second hand instrument. Comes with case, mouthpiece, reed.

Many more photos available - please send me a message if you would like more. Viewing/trial more than welcome.

Now the boring bit - You are bidding to buy, not to negotiate once the auction has ended. All non-payers will be reported to Ebay. Collection welcome from Bath, or will dispatch via courier.
Cash on collection preferred, but you are also more than welcome to pay via Paypal.
HAPPY BIDDING

If what you received is not as described - you ought to be able to get this sorted with either the seller or with eBay ...

Hope it all works out for you Ivan ...

Ivan.spetsnaz

Shot at 2012-03-28

Shot at 2012-03-28

Shot at 2012-03-28

Shot at 2012-03-28

Shot at 2012-03-28

Answer from seller: If you look at the images on the listing, you will quite clearly see this part screwed on. As mentioned, I have close-ups of EVERY part of the sax showing no screws/parts missing at all. You did not state whether there was any damage to the hard case that it was packaged in.
As stated before, there was absolutely no problem with this instrument before it was dispatched, so if you are suggesting otherwise I suggest we go through the resolution centre.

I'm so annoying about his reply

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Resolution centre it is. Guys like that should be banned from ebay. I hope you gave him suitable feedback.

Shouldn't be too expensive to sort out, but it's hassle.

Take a lok in the case, it's just possible that the screw fell out in transit.

Ivan.spetsnaz

Dear kevgermany thank for your understand

If he prefer to refund i will write good feedback with him but, he is not accept to refund. seller just argued that "
there was absolutely no problem with this instrument before it was dispatched"

Question is Why i got bad condition item like this?

I spend time more than 2 hours to find screw in case and my room already but I cannot not found,
£100 for me is so expensive because i'm international student every penny is costly for me. I not expect my first sax look like wonderful condition but just need acceptable not chips not big scratches on it but ......... This is terrible to accept.....

sorry for my English .....

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Sorry to hear of your problems Ivan. I do hope this is resolved soon and when you have your refund perhaps forum members could suggest suitable instruments to bid on.
Good luck

Andrew

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
He's refused to acknowledge or resolve the problem. In my book that deserves negative feedback to protect other buyers.

I'm not sure about the marks - the photos he posted are too poor to see anything, and it's certainly not clear from the photos on ebay whether the screw (it's a point screw, by the way) was in the sax when he photographed it or not.

If it's just a missing screw, then the price seems OK, but condition's clearly not as described. Not sure where you are, but try taking it to a repairer. It's a really quick/cheap job to replace the screw - as long as they have one that fits. Disapointment aside, I wouldn't worry too much about the marks in the finish.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Dear all

I still looking for my first soprano sax, however no more for second hand saxophone because this experience make me chastened

I need to ask all of you about this one
http://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Rosedale-Intermediate-Soprano-Saxophone/8N0 and this brand http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carmichae...nstruments&hash=item20c4417a00#ht_2209wt_1395 any suggestion about those brands?

Thank You
John
I know nothing about either of these saxes. The only brand mentioned that I've seen reviews for is gear for music. And they've been OK, but the sax may need a professional setup when you get it, but that applies to all saxes. The gear for music has a 'rose copper' finsh. Colour may not suit you. If the body is solid copper, it may dent rather easily.

TomMapfumo

If I was looking for a soprano sax at around £200 I would certainly be happy going with a Gear4music Soprano. I would not be surprised if they were made by whoever produces the Venus Soprano.

I found this quote in SOTW in a thread about comparing the two alto saxes mentioned:

"06-01-2008 11:05 AM #2
jonbarrett
Hi
If money is tight and re-sale or trade-in value is an issue my choice for a sound, proven horn at this level would be Yamaha every time. Having said that I am sorely tempted myself by the Walstein alto and I have a G4M soprano which I am really pleased with and which so far (6 months) still seems like a lot of horn for the money. Hope this helps.
Regards
Jonathan"

Gear4music seem to be gradually emerging as one of the better cheapies available, a place previously occupied by John Packer and Bauhaus Walstein. At least if you bought new you would have a guarantee.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMartin

If you can't get a refund for the sax you've bought, it's probably worth showing it to a technician to see if it's worth repairing.

Rosedale is Gear4Music's slightly more expensive range. I bought a Rosedale tenor from them 1.5 years ago (for £400) which i've been quite happy with. But I had the chance to try it out in their shop in York first. The only problems I've had were a couple of poorly glued corks which I've had to replace.

I don't know anything about Carmichael saxes but I've bought acessories from Karacha before and had very prompt delivery. They seem to have a good feedback record on eBay.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom