support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Been playing a while, thought I'd finally join.

Roy_Cropper

Hi, my names Tony, not actually Roy Cropper, I just needed a name to sign up as it wasn't letting me have my own. Anyway I'm an alto player and I'm from Bolton. I've started playing sax when I was around 20 or 21, I'm 44 now so it's been a while. I'm self taught so probably picked up some bad habits along the way. For example, I've played with a double lip embouchure from the start because when I first picked up the sax, the teeth on the mouthpiece thing just felt wring. It was only years later that I found out there was another way. Anyway I've gigged in various bands etc for years, from rock bands, soul bands, wedding stuff (which I love doing) and restaurant stuff with a little trio. In 2001 I played in a circus band and toured Denmark for 6 months with a circus, so yeah I've been around a bit. Recently however gigs have started to dwindle a bit and I'm not out as much as I was. I love playing the sax though, especially alto. I've dabbled on tenor but I just find it a bit cumbersome and unwieldy because of the size, I do love listening to it though and some of my favourite players are tenor players. I used to play sop and was really into it, and only got rid because I needed a tenor for the circus gig. These days it's alto all the way, I loveli the sweet tone it has, I'm kind of obsessed with tone and spend a long time working on it. Anyway that's me, sorry if I went on a bit. Here's a YouTube clip of some stuff I did earlier, there was no prep or rehearsal for this, it was just jammed, so some of the playing might be hit and miss. Anyway I look forward to my time here and thanks for having me.

Welcome Not Royston

Nice clip... Lots of opportunity to post more of your playing on the Songs and Ballads of the month etc...looking forward to it

Welcome, Tony and thanks for joining us. That video clip sounds great and I'm most impressed by a band that doesn't have drums. Is the band still playing? I live near Burnley so travel to Bolton is no problem and I think I'd enjoy a gig (from an audience perspective only).

Welcome, Tony and thanks for joining us. That video clip sounds great and I'm most impressed by a band that doesn't have drums. Is the band still playing? I live near Burnley so travel to Bolton is no problem and I think I'd enjoy a gig (from an audience perspective only).

Thanks, that video was done yesterday afternoon, it's not exactly a band as such, that's only the second time we've played together although I've known and played with the guitarist for quite a few years now, we only met the singer last month on a valentines gig in a pub/restaurant in Leyland. We used to play with a different singer who was very good, and we did weddings and pub/restaurants but she went off to do the family thing. We keep it very loose and relaxed, I don't think we've ever had a rehearsal - just turn up to the gig, write down a quick set list and play kind of thing. As for not using a drummer, we've found it's not necessary in such small venues and the laid back feel of a trio works really well, it seems to go down well anyway. I'll let you know when I'm out and if you want to bob down feel free. Think I'm next out on the 27th in Langho - wherever that is, Blackburn area I think but not certain.

Regards
tony

great video man, love your tone on alto, nice lines behind the singer without getting in the way or distracting , very tasteful, be great to hear more, Jez

I know Langho, much nearer to me than Bolton. If the gig is open to the public, please let me know the venue and the time you start and I'll come along.

Cool that'd be great, it's the black Bull Inn Langho, Sunday 27th March, starts around 7.30. See you there

great video man, love your tone on alto, nice lines behind the singer without getting in the way or distracting , very tasteful, be great to hear more, Jez

Just posted something else in the sound clips section. Very different to this though.

i once named our internet modem " Roy Cropper" as my son and i are great fans of the character! we need more side partings and cardigans in music!

Hello Roy / Tony welcome to the Saxophone Cafe - I see you're a man with good taste you play alto and a Yamaha one to boot...:thumb:

Happy honkin'

Greg S.

Cheers Greg. Yes it's a YAS62 and it's a great alto, I've had it about 6 years now and I can't fault it. I'd recommend them to anyone, yamaha saxes in general I think are very good.

Last edited:
Cheers Greg. Yes it's a YAS62 and it's a great alto, I've had it about 6 years now and I can't fault it. I'd recommend them to anyone, yamaha saxes in general I think are very good.

Yeah I bought my Yamaha 62 series alto on the 4th of February 1986 - geez 30 years ago doesn't time fly when you're having fun.

I have soft spot for Yamaha - I have a purple logo 62 series tenor and a 475 series soprano...

Cheers Tony keep on honkin'

Greg S

Back
Top Bottom