support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

M/Pieces - Ligs Beechler v Berg Larsen

Derek A

I like stainless steel (it's a lot colder than leather though) but they can't touch you for it!

Around 40 years ago (a lot of candles on the birthday cake) I bought a Berg Larsen (110/2 M) for my MkVI tenor to replace my Selmer Jazz silver plated. Gave it a good sound with the synthetic fibreglass PTD reeds. I think people had a 'down' on them as they were a cheap(ish!) mouthpiece but quite a few younger players used the same set-up.
I gave up playing for 30 years but bought a cheap alto a year ago for my daughter. Needless to say she didn't get it (selfish b...) as I was so pleased with the quality and playability of the cheap horn.
I saw an alto player in Tenerife two years ago playing a Beechler bellite. Sounded terrific (yes, Baker Street).
I have heard the new Bergs are not as good as the old ones but don't know if I can beleive that.

Anyone played both and which would you advise to buy?

PS. I like a long lay - don't take the p... .

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Yup- Bergs, slightly hit and miss but good ones are still great. Beechler Bellites- good pieces but not for everyone- definately try before you buy, they have a tiny bore size which I personally can't get on with, though other guys in the store love 'em. also their 'edge' is based entire on having a very smallwchich means they've got no baffle, which makes them rather different from other bright pieces. you might like the BB but the berg's a safer option.

thomsax

I have some Larsen (blue boxes and all SMS facing) ss and I bouhgt a new Larsen ss 110/1 M facing the other year. The new ones is not bad but I prefer the older moutpieces. I got a feeling that the metal on the older mouthpieces is better. Even the quality of the work seems to be better on the old ones. Buy a good used Berg Larsen and sent it to moutpicece "doctor" for a new biteplate ... .

Thomas

OP
D

Derek A

Thanks, guys.

I like stainless steel (it's a lot colder than leather though) but they can't touch you for it!

Around 40 years ago (a lot of candles on the birthday cake) I bought a Berg Larsen (110/2 M) for my MkVI tenor to replace my Selmer Jazz silver plated. Gave it a good sound with the synthetic fibreglass PTD reeds. I think people had a 'down' on them as they were a cheap(ish!) mouthpiece but quite a few younger players used the same set-up.
I gave up playing for 30 years but bought a cheap alto a year ago for my daughter. Needless to say she didn't get it (selfish b...) as I was so pleased with the quality and playability of the cheap horn.
I saw an alto player in Tenerife two years ago playing a Beechler bellite. Sounded terrific (yes, Baker Street).
I have heard the new Bergs are not as good as the old ones but don't know if I can beleive that.

Anyone played both and which would you advise to buy?

PS. I like a long lay - don't take the p... .
I finally took the plunge couple of weeks ago and ditched my plastic Yamaha 7 (excellent alto m/piece).
Took the ears (wife) along to try out a few metals. The Berg was OK but not as good as expected, the Lawton was better, the Beechler 8 tip was by far the best - so much more powerful and easy to blow. Literally blew us away. Decided to buy it, unfortunately the most expensive, but with a head down, doe-eyed look and the explanation that I would never have to buy a wallpaper stripper again, got the approval of the ears.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
lol, hope it works well for you. Bet it's going to cost you a new handbag, matching shoes and gloves as well as a necklace and earrings.... Better start negotiating about combinnig this with her Xmas and bithday presents...

Top Bottom