BBC Young Musician

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Tonight is the woodwind final and it includes a saxophonist. BBC4 now

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
All of the players were stunningly good players.

I think the recorder player was a worthy winner. I thought the flautist was very good too. The clarinettist was technically stunning but a bit overtly "showy". The sax player was very good - but split a couple of very high notes unfortunately. The bassoonist was amazing, but looked nervous.

navarro

Hi all ,

It`s a little sad about the alto player the couple of high notes she glitched put paid to her.

I also find that if you have a whole host of instruments which really sound melodic and then an alto you are going to have an uphill struggle as, and I may be wrong, before you start to appreciate the beauty of the instrument when played well, the ear has to attune to it`s subtleties.

A lot of classicists have stated that it sounds a little discordant. Regds N.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenor Viol

Subscriber
Hi all ,

It`s a little sad about the alto player the couple of high notes she glitched put paid to her.

I also find that if you have a whole host of instruments which really sound melodic and then an alto you are going to have an uphill struggle as, and I may be wrong, before you start to appreciate the beauty of the instrument when played well, the ear has to attune to it`s subtleties.

A lot of classicists have stated that it sounds a little discordant. Regds N.
I think it's a timbre thing - the sax's timbre is quite distinctive. But it is the timbre which makes each instrument distinct. I think part of it is that mainstream musicians don't hear saxes very often so they're not used to the sound.

AlbionLass

I really enjoyed the woodwind final, I think the result was fair, the recorder player was excellent and had chosen a very good programme. A shame about those couple of high notes breaking up for the sax player but just shows that it happens. I like the range of different instruments you see in the woodwind final, the only one featured this year that I don't or haven't played to some level in the past was the bassoon (though I used to play oboe) which made it a very enjoyable programme for me. My 15 year old son who doesn't play an instrument but is very interested in music (doing BTEC at school) enjoyed it too.

navarro

Hi tenorviol, In fact that is absolutely right, timbre was the word I was looking for. Regds N.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom