support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

BBC Big Band

DaveW

At the Syd Lawrence concert last night someone was organising a petition to stop the BBC cutting the Big Band.

Now I'm not sure if it was against the BBC broadcasting Big Band special on Monday evenings or if it was against the demise of the Big Band, anyone know any more?

Dave,
There is a lot of criticism of BBC Radio2's change in music policy, in particular away from big band music towards the more popular end of rock. What you heard may be part of the same thing.

Long time presenter Malcom Laycock, who presented the programme on the best of big bands resigned last Summer after disagreements with his producer and the Beeb about changes to the format (he claimed constructive dismissal). Sadly Malcom died in November. British swing/traditional jazz drummer John Petters is a leading critic who continues to attack the Beeb.

Colin

Thanks as well Stephen. So I was on the right lines! Embarrassing otherwise. I've signed too. Not because I am a particular fan of British dance bands but more generally because I think the BBCs Radio 2 music policy is an erosion on culture.

Thanks as well Stephen. So I was on the right lines! Embarrassing otherwise. I've signed too. Not because I am a particular fan of British dance bands but more generally because I think the BBCs Radio 2 music policy is an erosion on culture.

Well done Young Col and on the topic of erosion of culture I think we should start a petition to bring back the Goon Show, there hasn't been such high quality imagery for decades! (Exit bluebottle, stage left)

Absolutely Dave! I'd put Hancock up in the same class for imagery, tho' there is no one of the genius of Milligan et al around now. Good music too - remember Ray Ellington and Max Geldray. There's only one thing for it - we'll have to send Bloodnock and a gunboat. Pack my bag and Mrs Fitzsimmons immediately!
Colin

I agree on Hancock Colin and funny you should mention him.

Today I took someone for a blood test and they complained that it hurt and I immediately though of the Blood Donor sketch. No point in mentioning it the whippersnapper would have looked at me as if I was talking gibberish :)

Signed the petition and added that we used to enjoy the Northern Dance Orchestra and Baker's Dozen, both real swinging outfits.

If you want "The Goon Show", "Hancock", "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again" and of similar ilk, BBC Radio 7 broadcasts a programme from each every week. For me it is the noon to one o'clock slot. Would recommend avoiding Hinge and Bracket though. :mad:

Well done Bill and Josh! I keep missing the Radio 7 repeats.

As to people not understanding, in my once or twice yearly meeting with my oldest mate of some 55 years (I can't believe I'm saying that!), we often lapse into Goon show metaphors. Most other people have no idea what we are on about.

My own favourite Hancock is a radio one, the East Cheam Drama Festival with Galton & Simpson's hilarious parody of Look Back in Anger. I had a sad experience. Having been brought up on that humour I was mortified to see him in a South London pub at Christmas, must have been 1967 the year before he died. He was very drunk. I did not know then about alcoholism - and his in particular - and I guess not many others did either. Quite tragic.

Just as tragic that some (not all, I add, to stop people drawing conclusions! On the other hand I am not TT!) of my Jazz heroes, Lester Young and Bix Biderbecke, also died of alcoholism.
Colin

Back
Top Bottom