All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Bb (tenor) Trill

jazzsurfer

Hi Everyone - Does anyone know how (Pete ?) how to do this Bb trill on attached little mp3 file ? It's from Waterbed Lou by Sax Gordon and he is growling away but he seems to trill the Bb note (tenor sax). I have tried various false fingerings for Bb but can't seem to work out how he does this.

Thanks for any advice/help

jazzsurfer

Whoops - Forgot to point at the mp3 file. Here it is:

http://www.bkblues.com/mp3/Bbtrill.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:

Morgan Fry

Locality
Leeds
Not a trill, that's a Texas wobble (probably not the only name, but it's a common device in the Texas Tenor style). It's similar to a lip trill on brass instruments. Finger middle Eb but lift up the G finger. You can play either a Bb or a G with this fingering. Change from one to the other by changing your vocal shape, I feel it as oh-ee--oh-ee. After a while you'll be able to slur them together smoothly and quickly enough.

jazzsurfer

Thank You

Hi Morgan - Thanks for the information - and the prompt reply. I will give it a go & let you know how I get on.

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
The link doesn't work for me. What's the name of the song? Just curious!

Thomas

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
There it was!

Morgan is right. "Sax"Gordon Beadle also add a fluttertone when he blow that thrill. Sax Gordon was blowing into a big RPC mouthpiece (big chamber, no baffle) with Rico #5 (orange box) when I saw him last time. His sax is a Couf II (Keilwerth) with mark VI neck.

Thomas

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I just wnat to say: Sax gordon is doing the shake, thrill, fluttertone, growls ... he use these effects separately.

Thomas

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom