All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Bb key reach

2112sax

Hello All
I recently obtained a Trevor james Classic Alto, v impressed with how easy it is to get my practice notes out of, but is there an easy wasy to get to the Bb key? I am struggling to reach it at present, do I have to do some kind of finger stretching? advice would be much appreciated.....

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Do you mean low Bb?
Unless you have really tiny hands it shouldn't be a problem.

There is probably a position of you LH that allows your pinky to get there easily.

jbtsax

Subscriber
If your sax is in good adjustment, simply pressing against the roller should close the low Bb key. You might try the exercise of keeping the low B key pressed down with the LH little finger and then rotating the wrist toward the low Bb spatula so that the first joint of the finger hits and closes the Bb key. This is a fast way to go from low B to low Bb and back and also trains the wrist to move in a way that makes the Bb key more "reachable".

MMM

Why don't you try sticking some blutack to raise the Bb lever: if it improves things, then look at a more permanent alternative such as sculpting a raiser from cork and sticking it on with Evo-Stick. Evo-stick (which is used for sticking corks and felts on saxes) can come off quite easily without damaging the lacquer.
Alternatively, Oleg makes quite an expensive one which is removable, looks nice but I have no experience of it.

Do let me know if you need more details!
Cheers,
M.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom