Bauhaus Walstein Tenor. Phosphur Bronze.

compound

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering how many of the cafe members have the BW Tenor, the Phospher Bronze one. And what your view's on it are. How does it compare with other sax's you've had, eg. action, tone, projection etc. And what mouthpiece and reed's do you prefer.I would be very interested in your view's. I myself find the right hand key's a bit of a stretch, but i only have a stump for the f sharp key, so it might only be me that feel's that. It doesn't stop me playing but slow's me down somewhat, but it's never stopped me playing drum's, Hammond organ, or guitar so thing's could be worse. Anyway looking forward to your reply's.
Compound.

Mikec

Welcome to the forum. I've had mine for over a year now and I am very pleased with it. I chose it mainly because I find the ergonomics very good for me. My previous saxes were a Jupiter and a Trevor James, and I find the BW is better than both regarding the action and ergonomics, and comes somewhere between the two for brightness of tone, though I think it's more versatile than either. I use a Berg Larsen metal mouthpiece and Van Doren V16 or Java No. 2 reeds. You will find the "Bauhaus Walstein Owner's Club" thread in the "Horns and Accessories" forum very interesting.

OP
C

compound

Thank's Mike,
I've just changed my Berg for a Sharkbite metal jazz piece for £29. I love it ,it's nice and edgy and loud like the Berg but more control.
Maybe it's me but it's the best piece i've ever used, and for that price can't be beat.
Rob.

Mikec

Thank's Mike,
I've just changed my Berg for a Sharkbite metal jazz piece for £29. I love it ,it's nice and edgy and loud like the Berg but more control.
Maybe it's me but it's the best piece i've ever used, and for that price can't be beat.
Rob.
That's a few good remarks I've heard about Sharkbites. It might be time to try one...

Tartaruga

I myself find the right hand key's a bit of a stretch, but i only have a stump for the f sharp key, so it might only be me that feel's that. It doesn't stop me playing but slow's me down somewhat
I would suggest you take it to a good repairer - he may suggest some modification that would make it more comfortable for you to play. Maybe he can move the touchpiece, and/or lower the action, and that may make it a lot better for you. Also he would point out if there's anything wrong with the sax (whcich I suspect is not the case)

OP
C

compound

Hi Tartaruga,
Thank's for the suggestion's , i have had the touchpiece moved on a previous sax, but it didn't help. The main problem is playing Eb ,and on this horn the Eb seem's slightly further away than i'm used to, something i'm just going to have to get used to.
Cheer's rob.

OP
C

compound

Hi Luluna,
Thank you very much for your warm welcome. And might i just add how much i wished i lived in Vermont, you lucky thing.
Cheer's Rob.

Luluna

Señora
Subscriber
Rob, are you sure about that wish? April 28 we had 29" of snow - and 3" more on May 9 - and wouldn't you know - today it's 80F :D

OP
C

compound

Hi Luluna,
I'm positive about living there, i've always wanted to live in the States since i was a kid.Wishfull thinking but i can always dream. Anyway we had over a foot of snow at Christmas, and we're not even a ski resort. But where you are your geared up for that sort of weather, here 3inches of snow and the country comes to a standstill. Anyway thank's for your reply, take care.
Rob.

Top Bottom