All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Bauhaus Walstein Saxes now available at sax.co.uk..............

TomMapfumo

Hi There!

I have just noticed this development - sounds like BW is hitting the big time. In part it reminds me of the development of the Mauriat brand a few years ago, as it moved from "cheap Chinese import" to universal credibility. It will soon be time for a newer brand to emerge (unless it is the JP saxes.....?).

Kind regards & Have a Cool Yule!
Tom:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Jones

Whilst your on the Subject of those bits of metal we call Sax. Up till this time last year I played the Yani T991 with the Lichfield City Band, It was said the sound I produced was smooth and Warm, The business end was a Selmer Ebonite mouth piece with Jazz Select 3 Soft. Sadly due to Divorce costs I had to sell my trusty metal. I now look with Open Mouth at the cost of such a beast and wonder if there are similar quality purchases that would live up to this Yani of mine. Your comments would be gratefully received.

Two Voices

Hi Chris,

I'm a newbie so take my opinion with a pinch of salt but the BW M2 range is pretty impressive for the money! I've just order the M2 Soprano which is much cheap than a Yani but punches way above its price tag.

Check this link out for more info about the M2 http://www.woodwindandbrass.co.uk/acatalog/Bauhaus_M2_Saxophones.html

The T-M2s Bauhaus Tenor Saxophone - Silver Plate/Gold Lacquer Keywork costs £1,580.20 which is half what the Yani T991S is.

Chris Jones

Thanks for your Reply Paul, Its a very fine looking horn. It Had caught my eye from the write up and looks tops. Another horn I have considered is the TJ "The Horn Rev II GA" Tenor Sax in antique lacquer. Still an open floor.

Two Voices

Hi Chris,

I looked at The TJ Sop as it looked awesome. But my teacher recommended that I got a Yamaha Intermediate Sop (475) instead as the overall quality is better. Then here on the cafe I was recommended the BW range as they were better than the Yamaha! Go figure :) . I think its worse than buying car lol.

Best of luck in deciding!

Paul

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sounds as if you know what you're looking for. Why not make a trip to a dealer and try some out. You may just find a used Yani that's in your price range.

TomMapfumo

Hi Chris,

I looked at The TJ Sop as it looked awesome. But my teacher recommended that I got a Yamaha Intermediate Sop (475) instead as the overall quality is better. Then here on the cafe I was recommended the BW range as they were better than the Yamaha! Go figure :) . I think its worse than buying car lol.

Best of luck in deciding!

Paul
Hi Paul!

Across the board "my teachers recommended a Yamaha" is a very common refrain - particularly if your teacher is 40 plus, and has had any more traditional background. Many teachers started learning instruments at 11 or 12 yo, probably on a school owned Yamaha instrument and are likely to recommend them to other new students, almost without an awareness of what is currently available. I have found that many such teachers have out of date info - up to 20/30 years old - and have not heard of many of the manufacturers that hail from Taiwan etc. So many students could be paying more than necessary to get a decent instrument.

Tenor wise I was aware of a sax review that Pete did about 18mths ago which compared several saxes, including both the BW Bronze and the Yani T901 - the BW doing better in the various tests. It is obviously a subjective thing but a BW may be worth considering in a straight play - off with the Yani range just to see what appeals.

Kind regards to all,
Tom

thomsax

Tom.
You're right there are lots of other good studentsaxes to buy. But I think Yamaha has excellent service to shops and techs. Every single screw, pad, rod, feder .... can be ordered from Yam 21 to 275. Safe for everyone. I guess that why Yamahas saxes are recommended by teachers, techs, seller in shops ... .
I'm not sure this is the case with other brands. Here in Sweden the BW are sold by a small firm. I'm not sure they are carring all spare parts.

Thomas

Two Voices

That's true Tom. My teacher recommend Yamaha's to me :) So glad you recommended the BW Sop though, it came yesterday and I absolutely love it!

However, Chris was asking about the Yani T991 which as far as I know a Pro model. Hence, my M2 suggestion. Mind you I'm very pleased with my Yamaha YTS-275.

TomMapfumo

Hi Paul!

Crossed wires I'm afraid - as far as I am aware Pete has not done any sound comparisons of the other BW or Yanagisawa Tenor saxes. I was aware that Chris was talking about the Yani T991 - one up from the T901, (both of which are Pro horns) so the M2 may well be a very good alternative, at a lower price.

I'm glad that the Soprano arrived safely and that you love it to bits. I'm no expert on soprano mouthpieces but play a Vandoren V16 HR - which has a lovely sound, and play a Brancher J15 metal, and have had the Rico B7, and Yanagisawa 5 HR all of which were good and relaiable.

Kind regards
Tom

Two Voices

Hi Tom,

That's what I thought. The M2 seems good quality and may offer a good alternative to the Yani at half the price. Probably best to try before buying (something I can't do living on an Island).

I am over the moon with the M2 Sop - Just been playing 'Jingle bells', 'Silent Night' and 'Kum Bah Yah' on it :)

Thanks for the mouthpiece suggestions - may try the Rico first as its cheaper. Plus I'm happy with the B5 on both the Alto and Tenor. The V16 HR seems interesting though!

Lloyd

Hi There!

I have just noticed this development - sounds like BW is hitting the big time.
It looks like sax.co.uk couldn't ignore the overall concensus about the quality of these instruments, but they're not exactly raving about them are they? They are stocking them but there is no real endorsement. Perhaps they haven't got round to test driving them yet. For my part I keep thinking about upgrading my phosphorus bronze to a three times the price Yanagisawa but am resisting the gas temptation - the bottom register is just awesome.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
It looks like sax.co.uk couldn't ignore the overall concensus about the quality of these instruments, but they're not exactly raving about them are they? They are stocking them but there is no real endorsement. Perhaps they haven't got round to test driving them yet. For my part I keep thinking about upgrading my phosphorus bronze to a three times the price Yanagisawa but am resisting the gas temptation - the bottom register is just awesome.
Give us time my man, we've been run ragged over the last week or so but write ups etc will be forthcoming soon. I've got one myself..... a curved sop, lovely bit of kit....

Stephen Howard

I wouldn't have any qualms about buying an M2 over a Yamaha in terms of build quality. I'd say that Yamaha still have the very slight edge, but the BW is above and beyond the standard where I'd have concerns.

Tonally the M2 easily matches the quality of the Yamaha ( and other more expensive horns ). Of course, it might not be the tone you want but it's very definitely in that pro-range bracket.

As regards spare parts, BW have a policy of keeping a full range of parts for all their horns. I know the Chinese horns are all fully catered for, I believe the M2 spares are coming on stream any time now.

Regards,

jonf

It looks like sax.co.uk couldn't ignore the overall concensus about the quality of these instruments, but they're not exactly raving about them are they?
In fairness, the BW saxes were given prominent billing in the most recent sax.co.uk email newsletter.

Chris Jones

Thank you all for your input.

It is the Pro range I'm looking for, however funds are a little tight and believe good horns are out there without the price tag to go with it. I haven't been on the forum for 12-14 monthes and know how horns are reviewed and boxes' ticked. Again many thanks again.

Two Voices

Hi Tom and Jules,

I've decided to get a Vandoren V16 Ebonite Mouthpiece for the Soprano. But not sure which opening? I'm guessing the S6.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Top Bottom