support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones bauhaus walstein owners club

is everybody at the bauhaus owners club still happy ? any complaints or gripes or even a little niggle !

Yes happy, i got my BW Phosphor low A Baritone about 3 weeks ago it is such good value:)fantastic quality build:welldone
If you are passing by call in for a trial blow:sax:

birdman

www.studiosaxophones.co.uk

Mauriat DK low Bb Baritone,Bauhaus-Walstein Phosphor Bronze Low A Baritone

No complaints here. Nothing's fallen off after the initial "small bits of cork moult", and it's now past its sticky pad period. After seven months, I'm beginning to learn how to get the best out of it.

Still very keen on my sop. Not flawless, so I wouldn't get toooooo carried away, but very good by any standards. And by the standards of saxes costing £350, remarkable. Like Mike's, mine's now past the sticky pad phase, and blowing very nicely. This is probably some sort of heresy (certainly by the standards of some forums (fora, OG?)), but I prefer it to my vintage Buescher True Tone. And not just the ergonomics, which are vastly better. I think the tone is better, too.

Tempted now by the baritone. Will have to sell the other one first, though. Two baris might stretch the Mrs F's patience a bit too far:w00t:

BH tenor and mouthpieces

Since this thread's been started, I just thought I'd add a few comments on the mouthpieces I've tried so far. I tried them all for at least two hours on separate occasions with the same reed (a Vandoren V16 no. 2) each time.

Yamaha 4C. As you might expect, a good all-round mp. With a wider tip opening (a 5 or 6C) I would be fairly happy with the not-too-bright, not-too-dark sound. Note-bending and vibrato are good.

Selmer S80 C**. Again, a very good all-round mp, but a little too smooth-sounding for my taste, and slightly less free-blowing than the Berg Larsen 95/2 I use daily. I find this to be free-blowing and very versatile but brighter than the Selmer. I'd say that the Selmer is a touch better for subtones, as you might expect, but the Berg is still good. Vibrato and note-bending are easy to control and vary, more so than the Selmer.

The big surprise was the Claude Lakey Jazz 7*3. On my Trevor James tenor it made a chain-saw sound like Jose Carreras, but on the BW it is quiet, flat and completely lifeless. I have no idea why this should be so. Anyway, the Berg comes out top for me.

Needless to say all of the above is largely subjective and merely my opinion, but I hope it adds something to the growing store of BW knowledge.

I've still got my Walstein tenor. Must be about a year and a half now. Still going strong. It's had 1 visit to the repair shop for an annual service where nothing much was wrong and I still love it.

The original niggles I had are still there - mainly plastic pearls (now MoP) which I am upgrading soon.

I prefer a Vandoren T75 mouthpiece on it, though the Yanagisawa pieces do come very close too.

Had my Bari (prototype) for just over 18months now. No major problems, occasional cork bits fall off. The bell brace screws fell out which caused a few squeaks for a night.

But yeah, no regrets. I wouldnt mind trying a John Packer one just for a comparison.

col.

Last edited by a moderator:
No

Very disappointed in my curved soprano….Firstly I must state that I’m a Baritone/Tenor player never owned a soprano but bought it(after being influenced by this forum) with a view of using my home studio setup for sax quartet stuff (my alto is a YAS32 converted into a Martin Hurni synthephone driving VL70/XV5080/TX802 midi hardware) but I do have a natural flair for getting good tone. I bought the sax six months and in the light of discussions on this forum had it delivered to my sax lady for a setup…with all other things happening I only got round to picking it up last week. It looks lovely, feels really solid, my tech has really fine tuned it and I can’t fault the construction. I have a 80’s Lawton 6*B which has been in a drawer for 25yrs+ waiting for its debut together with its associated 2.5 plasticover reed….Does it play…??...you bet it does…very easily…all the way from low Bb to palm Eb (I need to work on that to get higher, probably a more open mouthpiece)…but .with the exception of low octave E, F, (F sharp O.K) and G…..absolutely unplayable..:( :(: ...its gurgle & grunt using the embrochure employed for the rest of the sax, only way I can get these notes is to go Sub-tone and then readjust once I get out that area, the octave of these notes is fine, no problem. I’ve given it a couple of hours of practice and I’m heartbroken…only thing I can think of is mouthpiece but have no alternative to compare…anyone any ideas…???

Sounds a bit like a venting issue to me, but hey what do I know?:(

I struggle a bit with the Soprano, anything above top E gets very difficult to plant, I can run into it but couldn't play middle G to high E interval, it would say no no.

I had a burble on upper octave E which disappeared after a reed change?? just a thought.

All those horns coming out of Woodwind and Bras are definitely play tested by a very accomplished tech & player, - I've seen it with my own eyes. So I'd be looking for a second opinion and maybe try other mouthpieces. Otherwise speak to them there, I know you say it's been a while but they are usually very helpful and want to have happy customers.

Very disappointed in my curved soprano….Firstly I must state that I’m a Baritone/Tenor player never owned a soprano but bought it(after being influenced by this forum)...Blah..blah..blah...of low octave E, F, (F sharp O.K) and G…..absolutely unplayable..:(:(: ...its gurgle & grunt using the embrochure employed for the rest of the sax, only way I can get these notes is to go Sub-tone and then readjust once I get out that area, the octave of these notes is fine, no problem. I’ve given it a couple of hours of practice and I’m heartbroken…only thing I can think of is mouthpiece but have no alternative to compare…anyone any ideas…???

Sorted...:):) changed from rico(plasticovers/normal, played them all my life) to vandoren and a nicer warmer tone overall...:welldone

I am waiting at the door right now for my new curved BW soprano to come.As you's no i have the BW Alto,Straight sop and cant praise them enough.Great deal on a great little horn.I will post my thought's on the bronze curvy when it arrive's,hurry up postman.

Back
Top Bottom