All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Saxophones Bauhaus M2 earth

Another Colin

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
I've been looking for a more open responding modern tenor to upgrade from my first tenor, a Couesnon, lately and have tried several different brands over the last few months. I know experienced players can make it work very well but I come from a background of over 30 years playing brass but less than 3 years on saxes. I have found my Couesnon pleasant but a little uneven and stiff particularly in the upper register.

I had an open mind whether a B&W tenor would suit me but was pleased that Martin at Woodwind & Brass was prepared to consider accepting my tenor as part exchange so my wife and I defied the wind and rain and headed down to Hampshire. My wife has been playing tenor longer than I have so she tried them all as well for me. We tried 3 different new Bauhaus Walstein tenors.

• The lacquered Chinese bronze tenor looked stunning and played fine. I felt there was nothing really wrong with it. It was a good horn but for me not a big enough upgrade on my old tenor.
  • I was most looking forward to try the lacquered yellow brass M2. It had a very pleasant sound neat appearance and the keywork felt much more precise than either the bronze model or my older tenor. The upper register including front top F responded really easily. It was also easier to lip my intonation above the stave.
  • After around an hour and a half of comparing them, I eventually settled on the M2 Earth model with the large bell and brown unlacquered finish. I actually much preferred the appearance of the lacquered model and it cost less. The Earth model however, had a definitely warmer sound, a smoother response from top to bottom loud or soft. I am really looking forward to playing it.
  • My wife hadn't initially intended to spend but came away with a lacquered M2 alto.

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
What made you select a BW? Why that dealer (it's a long way from Northampton)?

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales
Congratulations on getting a really decent sax and a worthy upgrade on the Couesnon. I hope that both you and your wife are happy for years to come!

Another Colin

Locality
Northamptonshire UK
I've tried a lot of other brands and have a clearer idea of what I am looking for since I bought my Couesnon. My wife has Revolution 2 and Mauriat 86 tenors. I particularly liked a Yani 902, I tried at Dawkes last month but they were not keen to offer a trade in. I read up about B&W here and elsewhere. Portsmouth is a couple of hours for me but we fancied the trip and made a mini break out of it. Like I wrote earlier, I had an open mind on the brand and made my appointment as he trades from home. Martin let us try out lots of instruments for as long as we wanted. I really liked the earth model despite its raw appearance and he offered me a very fair trade in on my Couesnon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
That is good! Disappointed with Dawkes as that is my local shop but I understand why you went so far and I am pleased that you got what you want.

jazzdoh

Locality
West Midlands
Congrats on your new horn's,i love that unlacquered look,i have the RAW which is a similar appearance.
Sometime back i tried the BW M2 silver and was very impressed with it,anyway enjoy your new horn.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom