All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Saxophones Bauhaus M2 altos

Paul Warner

Hi all. Very impressed by Stephen Howard`s review of the M2 alto. Has anyone else played one? I would be grateful for all reports because of my concern over consistency. E.g. over the years I have played several Selmer 6`s and owned two- and didn`t think much of any of them! I know there are many who maintain that if you don`t play a Selmer, then maybe you`re not really a player! But I read a great deal about the inconsistencies of Selmers. It seems that you can`t depend on them being NECESSARILY the best!
So why am I going on like this? I suppose that I`m wondering if ALL M2`s are necessarily as good as the one Stephen examined. Perhaps some of you can tell me before I talk some poor dealer into ordering a sax that I then don`t think much of! Also there are two other related models: the M2 gold lacquer and the new `Earth` bare brass version. Has anyone played these and got something to say to the rest of us? I really would like to hear from you as I`m still wondering what to buy.:confused::confused::confused:.:confused:

rhysonsax

Hi Paul,

I bought (or part exchanged for) a M2s alto from our own Birdman at his shop in Abergaveny. I have also got quite a few other altos, inclding MkVI, Buffet S1, Keilwerth SX90, Buescher TH&C, Mauriat etc.

When I played the M2s in the shop I really liked it - my only concern was that it maybe sounded a bit too bright, but I was playing with a pretty bright mouthpiece.

The action, ergonomics, look and intonation all suit me fine. Better that some of my other horns and on a par with the Selmer. But it doesn't sound like my Selmer.

This is where it gets a bit tricky, as I am not good at describing the sound qualities and characteristics. The M2s is nicer to blow down the bottom end, where my experience is that MkVIs (tenor and alto) can be a bit "honky". The M2s has a big sound and you can really push it, but I think that it is more "spread" (certainly from the player's perspective) than the MkVI.

I liked it so much that I went out and bought a tenor M2s from Allegro in Oxford and now I have a matching pair that look great.

The only answer is for you to blow one (or several) before you order one. If you're in my neck of the woods you are welcome to try this one, or they are very welcoming at Woodwind & Brass in Cowplain (the owners and importers of Bauhaus), but make sure you ring before dropping in on them.

Rhys

Paul Warner

Thanks Rhys....good of you mate. Very helpful and reassuring.
Just been looking at a picture of the bare brass, `pre aged`, version. If it sounds as good as it looks, it`ll be a great horn. Very tempted, but I haven`t heard from anyone who has actually played one. I really don`t know, you see, if unlacquered horns really are different soundwise, as claimed (or just something waiting to go green!).

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
I borrowed an M2 for a while, a silver one and did some recording with it, it's up on the Taming The Saxophone youtube site: Old Time Blues #1

Paul Warner

Will look and listen, Pete. Still can`t make up my mind about bare brass, though. I`ll try them both if I can. Think the marque`s a good one. Just swapped my old Conn for the BH deluxe Ai tenor and am amazed at how free blowing and full/rich sounding it is for an entry level horn.

Paul Warner

Just listened and loved it. Now I`m to old and have played too long to think for a moment that what Pete gets in the way of sound is what I or anyone else will get on the same horn, but as a starting point there seems a basic fullness of tone in that sound clip which is what I`m looking for- the classic alto sound that is often now forsaken for edgy `attack`.
Thanks for that Pete.....much appreciated.

MartinL

I borrowed an M2 for a while, a silver one and did some recording with it, it's up on the Taming The Saxophone youtube site: Old Time Blues #1
That sounds beautiful Pete...

How much of that is down to the Sax though, or is it mainly your skill as a player?

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Supporter
No, the point is when you buy it, you need to specify which notes, licks etc you need with the horn.

Zeus

Anyway i can find anywhere how does the Bauhaus Walstein AM2-E Earth Unlacquered Alto sounds?
Cheers
Ted

Paul Warner

Anyway i can find anywhere how does the Bauhaus Walstein AM2-E Earth Unlacquered Alto sounds?
Cheers
Ted
I played both that and the silver version. I actually preferred the 'Earth' version sound-wise. Unfortunately it wasn't as well set up as the silver one and I objected to paying several hundred pounds more for a horn that had less done to it! I really felt that was a rip off!
Anyway...nice horns and good luck.

Zeus

I played both that and the silver version. I actually preferred the 'Earth' version sound-wise. Unfortunately it wasn't as well set up as the silver one and I objected to paying several hundred pounds more for a horn that had less done to it! I really felt that was a rip off!
Anyway...nice horns and good luck.
Thanks i'll need it, my Jody Jazz+RJS, need a likewise horn to pair with, to let me practice in peace, so i know that the only reason it honks is all me:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeus

Are there any hidden differences between the BH AM2 Silver Gold that is sold today, and the one that we see on Pete Thomas youtube vids, besides the avalone keys?

Is the quality better or does it happen when one brand gets attention and establishes fame, downgrades quality after the masses swarm and buy? I am sceptic because i am, and already have purchased two student saxes, and i want the next one to be a keeper, not a vessel to a mark vi for example, down the road.

Editing: It was the preproduction model, as it states at Mr. Howards review.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Warner

Are there any hidden differences between the BH AM2 Silver Gold that is sold today, and the one that we see on Pete Thomas youtube vids, besides the avalone keys?

Is the quality better or does it happen when one brand gets attention and establishes fame, downgrades quality after the masses swarm and buy? I am sceptic because i am, and already have purchased two student saxes, and i want the next one to be a keeper, not a vessel to a mark vi for example, down the road.

Editing: It was the preproduction model, as it states at Mr. Howards review.
BH horns do seem quite consistent. I haven't heard anyone complaining about getting a bad one, although set-up can vary so I wouldn't dismiss anything you do get without consulting a good tech' first.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom