PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Battered Baritone

Pee Dee

Locality
Dorset
Hi there
Some advice please. I am playing 2nd tenor in an amateur swing band, and they are short of a baritone. Well, I thought I wouldn't mind having a go at that! But the price of them, out of my range unfortunately. Well, just checked Ebay, and guess what? A Baritone in the offing! And starting bid - 99p! It's got another 9 days to go yet though, but considering the state of it, it might be still quite a bargain. I don't know how to create a link so here are the details:
make - Cousnon Paris, probably 50's vintage.
condition - lots of resolderings, but no blobby's. Dent removals, and small dents and scratches.
Rounded tone holes in good condition, original keywork.
Recently checked over, been adjusted with a few corks. Plays throughout the range.
Question - could this be a good buy? The beauty is, it's local, so I can check it over myself, but not having played a Bari before, I could have a few squawks and squeaks, but that could be me.
So, what to do, I suppose it's like buying a new car, take along an expert, and check it over. Have I answered my own question:blush:
?

What is your budget?

Bari parts can be very different to the rest of the section, as I found out so you need to be aware of that. But that having been said they are great fun.

Also a lot of Bari parts contain low A's which the Old French bird is unlikely to have available, thats not such a great deal really just means you've gotta be ready for it.

Contrary to what you might think there is not such a great step from tenor or alto for that matter to Baritone. Its just bigger and slightly less responsive. Something you adapt to pretty quickly.

If you can get it within your budget go for it, they're great fun.

If you can try it and its a good one it could be a great buy. Playing one just makes you grin the first time, its great (and the second, and the third, and the ...........) Some people love Cousnons but i've never seen one in the flesh so cant comment as to quality(not that I would know).
I wouldnt worry about repairs as long as they have been done properly, although it might put some people off and keep the price down :w00t:

No Low A as Mr P. says could be a prob but then again maybe not depends what your playing. Look at the scores of your bands pieces and see if its needed or ask band MD if he can arrange around it.

And yes you probably have answered your own question. ;}

Col.

Hi thanks for reply.
Budget £200 - £300, unless I have a mad moment, could go to £500.
Yeah, sorta fancied trying a bari, a bit like the tuba in the brass band I guess, although i've heard some great solos on them. It's a bit battered, and no case so hoping it'll go cheap!

Hi Col
Yeah, sounds like fun. At least I can go and give it a go. Shame about the low A if it's missing, i'll have another look at the pics.

I've looked on Ebay and the seller is in Dorset like you, that's a coincidence ;}

The advertising is paying off, it's up to £2.40 now :D

Pee Dee,

Later Couesnon saxes are very underrated in my opinion and those that have them or have played them know their value in terms of playing, tuning and monetary value too.
the one you've seen on ebay does not have low A. Some people reckon that the low A on most baris make them not as rich in tone as those without it.

I will be surprised if it sells within your stretched budget of £500.

I sold a similar couesnon bari in silver plate 2 years ago for £850.

Try and give it a blow if you can.

Be aware some of the older baris are difficult/near impossible to get cases for apart from the Berkley case.

find out if it comes with a case and what state the case is too.

Pee Dee,

I will be surprised if it sells within your stretched budget of £500.

I sold a similar couesnon bari in silver plate 2 years ago for £850

Shucks! Another dream shattered:(
No, it doesn't come with a case, and as no low A, probably not much good for the band. Didn't they use low A in music in the old days?
Anyway thanks for the info Griff.

I've looked on Ebay and the seller is in Dorset like you, that's a coincidence ;}

The advertising is paying off, it's up to £2.40 now :D

Yeah, just up the road, but as it's likely to rocket I don't think I'll make matters worse and go and give it a blow. Oh well, back to earth:crying:

Yeah, just up the road, but as it's likely to rocket I don't think I'll make matters worse and go and give it a blow. Oh well, back to earth:crying:

you still might get it within budget. i would go and have a look/play seeing as its local.

and just cos its got no low a isnt a problem

how often do you play your low Bb?

you still might get it within budget. i would go and have a look/play seeing as its local.

Yes, it's always worth a go, you never know how things pan out. Twice I've got really good saxes for £100, a Buescher True Tone alto and a Conn C Mel, both in excellent playing order. To get these I must have missed out on dozens and dozens, but that's OK. If you give it a go and get a bargain, brilliant, if you miss out, so what, you've lost nothing.

Good luck.

Oh, and as a PS, I've dealt with the seller before and he was fine to deal with.

When the low A bari came in 1952 (Selmer (Super) Balanced Action) arrangers and composers started to write for the low concert C. The halfstep was/is important.

I have low Bb baris and that's is ok for me. I often play in the keys of concert A and E.

If you are looking for a low A baritone take a look at the "DDR" baris. I friend of miner bought recently a Weltklang stencil to low A from the late 70's. No damage and the case was good. No beuty; it plays better than it looks. Nickelplated keys and the body is clear-laquered. With new pads, felts, corks and the keys adjusted it sounds fine. He bought the sax for c £350 (3700 s e k). Weltklang, B&S (DDR) and Amati (CZ) did barisaxes for other manufactors and brands.

Thomas

It's gone over £300 already! Don' wanna be a bari player anyway:(

Couple of thoughts

1 - It's worth going down to see what you're missing and play it for reference compared to others you may look at later.
2 - Worth making contact with the seller - who knows, he may come across another in the future and offer it to you direct....
3 - worth watching the auction, but don't bid - if it gets to the last 10 secs or so and it's still within your budget, then bid your limit then.... I hate it when guys do this to me, but it's got me a few bargains in the past, including my tenor.

Suggestion for a ddr bari is a good one. Keep an eye on ebay.de as well - sax is saxophon in german. Same goes for the other european ebays... Can help with the German and I guss a few others can help with French, Italian and so on.

Yes, it's always worth a go, you never know how things pan out. Twice I've got really good saxes for £100, a Buescher True Tone alto and a Conn C Mel, both in excellent playing order. To get these I must have missed out on dozens and dozens, but that's OK. If you give it a go and get a bargain, brilliant, if you miss out, so what, you've lost nothing.

Good luck.

Oh, and as a PS, I've dealt with the seller before and he was fine to deal with.

Yeah, might still have a look, cheers:)

1 - It's worth going down to see what you're missing and play it for reference compared to others you may look at later.
2 - Worth making contact with the seller - who knows, he may come across another in the future and offer it to you direct....
3 - worth watching the auction, but don't bid - if it gets to the last 10 secs or so and it's still within your budget, then bid your limit then.... I hate it when guys do this to me, but it's got me a few bargains in the past, including my tenor.

Suggestion for a ddr bari is a good one. Keep an eye on ebay.de as well - sax is saxophon in german. Same goes for the other european ebays... Can help with the German and I guss a few others can help with French, Italian and so on.
Ok, thanks for advice. I worked in Germany in the 70's, Darmstadt, only for a year though. Have learnt a few words of German, via Linguaphone, and liviing there. Trouble was, soon's they know I was English, they wanted to speak it, to practice, so not much chance of me learning.
Re waiting last few secs, then wop on big amount, I've done that few times myself, won meself a nice antique clock the other week that way. Like you say, a bit annoying to the seller.
Ebay.de, ok i'll look into that, just thought all Eu countries had same ebay, is there a ebay for all countries?