All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Bass Player switching to Sax!

Ponce Julius

Hello! My name is Ponce Julius. I'm from New Orleans, La and I been playing bass for 12 years. My father was a professional jazz saxaphone player and he passed away in January. I inherited his saxaphone and as a tribute to his love for the instrument, I begun taking lessons. He left me a beautiful King Super 20 that has an incredible tone. My biggest issue is finding the right setup. He played on a Vandoren Jumbo Java mp that he had modified. Its entirely too hard to play for a beginner, so I got a inexpensive Selmer Gold Tone. The sound of this mp is very dark and low and I really don't like it. I would like to get a good metal mp or a good hard rubber one with a great sound. I played a little sax growing up so I'm familiar with the instrument and I'm taking lessons with a friend of my dad's for guidance. Any advice that can be given will be gladly accepted! Thanks

thomsax

Hi,

I played King Super 20 tenors before and the mouthpices that I used were Dukoff D chamber and Berg Larsen M facing. I couldn't manage to play with to wide openings on my Super 20's. Maybe it was just me? So I played medium or med/open mouthpieces (Dukoff D7-D8, BL 0.95-.0110). Baffles on all mouthpieces. I used medium/hard or hard reeds. LaVoz and Vandoren V16 was good for me. The King Super 20 is a powerful machine.

Welcome to CS.

Thomas

johnboy

Hi P.J. and welcome,

You could try a Rico Metalite. They are very cheap, with a remarkable sound (nice edge), similar to a metal 'piece. Please don't go spending loads of cash on mouthpieces, it is a comon fault among saxists. We all think that the next 'piece we buy will be 'The One'!
Find a nice friendly music store and try some mouthpieces out ;}

John.

Last edited by a moderator:

compound

Hi PJ,
I second Johnboy's choice a Metalite, but don't get one with a wide tip opening at first. Is it a Tenor or Alto? if it's Tenor i would suggest a number 5 opening to start. If an Alto i dont know which opening would be best for you. They are really cheap and really good, incredible value.And a big welcome to the Cafe from me as well.
Rob.

TomMapfumo

Hi PJ!

A big welcome to the Cafe from me and all the members in South Wales......................... :w00t:;}:shocked:

Agree with not splashing the cash prematurely and Rico mouthpieces are very good - about $16 or so. For Alto a good size to start with would be a 3 (0.070") rather than 5 (0.080"). Alternatively the Runyon 22 would be good for both.

Sad to lose your dad.
Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Ponce Julius

Thank you all for the love and the advice! I have become absolutely obsessed with this instrument and needed some direction. I will look into the mp's mentioned and I look forward to learning from all the great musicians here on this site. Thanks again! Ponce

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe PJ :)

In my short time learning the sax (alto) i am just moving into the mpc/reed minefield, the thing iv'e found through the advice iv'e had on here is to find the sound i'm looking for and research mpc/reed combination to suit that sound, but then maybe the mpc may not suit me :confused: very confusing

I'm currently using Peter Ponzol vintage 0.070 with zz vandoren which i'm liking :) also like the Rico jazz select, i have also just bought a Claude Lakey jazz 6*3 to try out (collecting sunday)

I'll get there one day :confused: hope

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, PJ.

First the flood and then your father can only mean things must get better.

ENJOY YOUR STAY!

Ponce Julius

@ Trimmy....yeah, its a lot to cipher through. A friend of mines that I talk to on facebook really love those Rico Jazz Selects, infact...I'm going order some and try them with the mp's I have.

@ Old Git...thank you my friend, I appreciate that. We are survivors down here. We've been coping with adversity in some form or fashion...but the music is alive and well down here. I don't know if you watch Treme on HBO, but its really well written and very accurate. Good music, good food, and fun times makes the pain easier to deal with.

compound

Hi PJ,
You didn't say if it's a Tenor or Alto or what sort of music you want to play, that would help us guy's point you in the right direction as regard's mouthpieces and reed's. Some of us on the cafe play synthetic reeds, others cane, there are many brand's of both types. It's a journey of discovery that i'm sure you will enjoy.
Kind regards, Rob.

Ponce Julius

Hi Compound,
I'm Sorry....its a tenor King Super 20 and I want to play jazz. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread to try Rico Metalite, and I looked it up and realized my dad had one! A Rico Metalite M7....I put it on my horn with a Rico Royal #2 reed and it sounds great. The facing is a little wide (don't know if I'm using the right terminology here lol), but I'm able to get all the notes out and it has a nice tone. I'm still open for suggestions though Compound...I want to learn as much as I could. Saxophone players speak a different language lol...baffles and facing...lol

compound

Hi PJ,
Thats great, but a M7 is maybe too open for you at the moment ( Tip Opening 105), I play an M5 ( Tip Opening 95), but everybodys different. You will get lot's of advice about mouthpieces and reed's, like i said it's a journey of discovery that can go on for year's. I wish you the very best of luck my friend.
Regards Rob.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Sounds like your father will be proud of you! Bet he's watching and saying "Go for it!"

Quite a few people start on bigger mouthpieces, sounds as if you're going OK with the Metallite. Why do you say it's too wide? Conventional wisdom says start smaller and gain experience, but it soudns as if this doesn't apply to you. If you can get the full range of notes, you're doing really well and there isn't a lot wrong.

The RJS reeds are great! Wonderful sound and pretty consistent. The Royals are similar, cheaper, but don't sound as good.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Ponce

Welcome to the cafe,you're going to love the journey now you've got into the best instrument in the world "I mean the sax in general" and you've got a cracker to start on,hope you enjoy it, keep on posting to let us know how it's going...all the best ....john

Ponce Julius

@ KevGermany...I'm hoping that he is proud of me! I just wish he was here to hear me play and improve. Thanks for the advice and I never heard of RJS reeds...Im going to have to google it.
@ Gladsaxisme....Thank you for the warm welcome. I will keep you posted on my progress.
@ Thomsax.....That helps out alot! I would be reading forums and trying to figure out what in the world saxophone players are talking about! lol...I saved that jpeg to my computer for future reference

Sunray

Welcome PJ ...

@ KevGermany...I'm hoping that he is proud of me! I just wish he was here to hear me play and improve. Thanks for the advice and I never heard of RJS reeds...Im going to have to google it.
@ Gladsaxisme....Thank you for the warm welcome. I will keep you posted on my progress.
@ Thomsax.....That helps out alot! I would be reading forums and trying to figure out what in the world saxophone players are talking about! lol...I saved that jpeg to my computer for future reference
Hey Hey PJ ...

Welcome to the Cafe mate ...

RJS Reeds = Rico Jazz Select Reeds [Link Here] ;}

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom