All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Bass inspiration for 8 year old

Mack

My son, 8, has taken up double bass. Of course he would rather be playing with trains/rolling on the floor/watching TV than practicing. Can anyone recommend online videos of ultracool bass players to inspire him? Ideally moody black and white. So far he thinks he will be Sting from the Every Breath You Take video, but the effect will wear off soon...thanks.

rhysonsax

My 13 year old has taken up the double bass and has just moved up from 1/4 size to 1/2 size. We've already done some Christmas duets and it's going to be fun.

I really like watching Shark Van Schoop with King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys as he has so much fun on the bass. Have a look at this tricky camera work !

And then there is NHOP - my very favourite and unbelieveably musical bass player:

Good luck to your 8 year old.

Rhys

Last edited by a moderator:

Young Col

Must be some Mingus on YouTube surely. Otherwise get him on to electric - Jaco Pastorius.
YC

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
can't help thinking stuff like the stray cats, peter gun theme, guns of brixton, love cats by the cure, rock lobster by the B52s etc would probably grab an 8 years old more than the intricacies of jazz

old git

Tremendous Bore
Isn't eight a bit young to take on Bass?

There is also the problem of persuading the barman to leave the solids in the bottle.

Rock Lobster

My son, 8, has taken up double bass. Of course he would rather be playing with trains/rolling on the floor/watching TV than practicing. Can anyone recommend online videos of ultracool bass players to inspire him? Ideally moody black and white. So far he thinks he will be Sting from the Every Breath You Take video, but the effect will wear off soon...thanks.
Mack,

Jules has a point, perhaps your role is encouragement, support and introducing him to the hugh variety of types of bass players, he will find his own way from there.

Incidentally, as a young man here in sunny Newcastle I watched Sting pretty much every week playing jazz and jazz funk in the Newcastle Big Band and Last Exit. Sting was tremendous on bass and happily played a range of styles well. I sometimes think i am the only Sting fan on the planet!!!

Takes all sorts though but.

Mack

Thanks for all the replies. In relation to Sting I went to see him in Bordeaux years ago after the split of The Police. I quite liked his music but it was more of a case of tagging along with the rest of the inebriated sailing instructors of whom I was one! Looking back now (as an avid jazz listener and aspiring alto player) it is with some regret that I didn't stay sober/pay more attention as I believe he was struggling along with only Messrs Marsalis, Kirkland, Hakim and Jones as a backing band. Regrets? I've had a few...

Mikec

Stanley Clarke's extremely versatile playing double and electric bass in a variety of styles. Most famous with Return to Forever

Rock Lobster

Isnt it great that an 8 year old can see past the obvious lead instrument contenders and can focus on an instument that has a lower profile but makes a rich contribution to the sound.

Well done him.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom