All profit supporting   special needs music

Bass Guitars

T

turf3

Locality
Earth
A lot of assumptions here but I suggest Google for a local luthier. Truss rods, bridges, etc can all be adjusted but you need to learn how to do it...... i.e. these are the tuners on one of my headless basses! View attachment 19685
We're talking about "an old Rockwood by Hohner", not a high dollar headless bass.

An Allen wrench set, a set of feeler gauges, and 20 minutes reading on the Fender website on "setup", plus an hour or two of careful work, can probably get the OP's cheap and cheerful bass playing a whole lot better than it is now.

But by all means if OP wants to remain helpless, he can contact a luthier and spend $200 on a $100 bass to get it set up better. I'm not a big fan of helplessness, myself.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
We're talking about "an old Rockwood by Hohner", not a high dollar headless bass.

An Allen wrench set, a set of feeler gauges, and 20 minutes reading on the Fender website on "setup", plus an hour or two of careful work, can probably get the OP's cheap and cheerful bass playing a whole lot better than it is now.

But by all means if OP wants to remain helpless, he can contact a luthier and spend $200 on a $100 bass to get it set up better. I'm not a big fan of helplessness, myself.
Another assumption of a $200 spend. Not all adjustment is simple..........

T

turf3

Locality
Earth
Well, if you think it would cost more than that, then for sure you don't want to spend that kind of money on a cheap starter instrument.

Look, you can make this kind of stuff as complicated as you want, plek-ing frets and all kinds of silliness, but if the OP's kid's bass has 1/4" of neck relief because the truss rod hasn't been tightened since the Kennedy administration (the Heath administration?) and the string height's 4 mm at the first fret, an hour of so of fiddling can probably make it bearable. Of COURSE if the truss rod is seized you don't put a four foot cheater bar on the wrench and twist it off; of COURSE if the first fret's at a 10 degree angle to the last one, adjusting the string height isn't going to straighten the neck. You know, there are these things called "websites" - Fender have one, and it's quite easy to navigate to the section called "setting up your bass" - and they use clear language that pretty much anyone who can read will be able to understand, and they tell you how to make basic adjustments.

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
What is a "cheat bar" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

turf3

Locality
Earth
And by the way a cheatER bar is an extension one places over the handle of a wrench to increase the leverage developed by that wrench. It's also a real good way to damage workpieces, break the jaws off wrenches, and bang one's knuckles when something lets go.

MikeMorrell

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
:) A previous guitarist, I quickly learned that a guitar is not 'a guitar'. It's distinctive(personally) from other brands, models, playability and tone. The same applies, of course to saxes and accessories.

I would advocate that the same principle applies to bass guitars (which I'm sure would be supported by bass guitarists:))

Back in the summer of 2021, I was introduced via a friend to a local 'cabaret group'. It soon became clear to me that neither sax nor guitar added anything to the song repertoire or to the 'keyboard backing'. One of the musicians suggested that I might try out bass guitar (which he was prepared to lend me). To cut a long story short, I had difficulty playing his 'leant' bass guitar. I visited a music store to try out few alternatives. I bought one of these and (for me) it was much easier to play (slightly less distance between frets)

ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Having owned - and still do - a number of basses I simply ask my tutor to adjust/set up/tweak anything that is needed on my basses. None of which are the same i.e. from a 1978 Ovation Magnum MkII, to hand built Jon Shukers, to headless Kramers, etc. All different, from carbon necks to aluminium necks, etc.

T

turf3

Locality
Earth
My grandson has been a drummer (pause or humorous comments) since he was 7 and is now in his final years at senior school, he has been a fixture in school rock bands though his middle and senior years and is doing very well in music theory. His teachers have suggested he add another instrument to help his understanding and he immediately picked up an old bass guitar that I bought with the intention of learning many years ago and seems to be doing very well with it considering it's condition.

This guitar is an old Rockwood by Hohner, and is well past it's best as well as extremely heavy and not really conducive to long practice sessions.

I have noticed that some members here double on guitar and I'm looking for pointers, eg as we would look to Yamaha etc as a good starter instrument has anyone any suggestions in the guitar field?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Please keep safe.
Well, as I noted, first off should be to confirm the setup of the old bass is good, neck not twisted, etc. Then if it's not possible to put that right for short money, think about buying.

Personally I like the el cheapo Squier basses; give them an accurate setup and they play really well within the limitations of their inexpensive nature.

I'd recommend for a 17 year old to start with a standard scale bass not a short scale, but down the road he might decide short scale is the thing for him.

majordennis

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Thanks to all who resurrected and added comments that may be of use to others on this thread. I am happy to report that he has been playing his Yamaha TRBX (recommended by a fellow band member) for nearly 2 years now, his drumming has taken precedence as he is a member of 3 bands now all of whom have different projects.

The bass is a "relaxation" instrument and seems to fit nicely into his busy lifestyle.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
ProfJames

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Thanks to all who resurrected and added comments that may be of use to others on this thread. I am happy to report that he has been playing his Yamaha TRBX (recommended by a fellow band member) for nearly 2 years now, his drumming has taken precedence as he is a member of 3 bands now all of whom have different projects.

The bass is a "relaxation" instrument and seems to fit nicely into his busy lifestyle.

Thanks again.
Nice bass as well. Great purchase. I have a BB1100s.......... no such thing as a bad Yamaha....

majordennis

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Nice bass as well. Great purchase. I have a BB1100s.......... no such thing as a bad Yamaha....
Thanks Prof. that is also said about Martins, wish I had my 50's Indiana back.

majordennis

majordennis

Locality
Gone West
Yes I know, it was my intention to sell all my current saxes and buy a Martin but things haven’t quite worked out so the wait goes on, hope to get there soon, enjoy your “typewriter”.