support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Clarinets Bass Clarinets...

Yeah..??..try a Yam 221mk2 + a modified Pillinger standard 7C yam student m/p played with 3.5 Barisax plasticovers, works for me..perhaps not for you, took me a long time of swapping things around to get there, as tip don't bother over the first two octaves, top stuff is not whats its for, makes a great change from the Bari in terms of tone colour...Ohh..i'm just having started a serious go at Euphonium, gives even more...'Just do it Jules'

I agree, having done some minor mods to this particular Yamaha 221 bass clarinet. they are as you would expect from Yamaha, a well made instrument nicely in tune, sturdily built and "does what it says on the tin"

Yeah..??..try a Yam 221mk2 + a modified Pillinger standard 7C yam student m/p played with 3.5 Barisax plasticovers, works for me..perhaps not for you, took me a long time of swapping things around to get there, as tip don't bother over the first two octaves, top stuff is not whats its for...

Glad it works for you, but a quick search reveals the new price for a YCL221 is around £1,700 - far too much for me, sorry, and couldn't find a used one.
Plus on my Noblet I can play three octaves! ;}

lowD.jpg

Glad it works for you, but a quick search reveals the new price for a YCL221 is around £1,700 - far too much for me, sorry, and couldn't find a used one.
Plus on my Noblet I can play three octaves! ;}

View attachment 629[/QUOT

Miaww..!!.What a clever boy, I work on the principle that higher octaves simply means buying a 'higher' instrument..altissimo on my baritone..??..why should I waste the time..??..more than one way to 'skin a cat'..Miaww..!!

N.B. Hey obviously like yourself I just love the sound of a bassoon on its upper limits..;)

Courtney Pine's next album due in march is apparently exclusively bass clarinet - called Europa (the album, not his clarinet...)

I think he has been touring with material from the album - anyone seen him and would like to give a report?

Chris

...I work on the principle that higher octaves simply means buying a 'higher' instrument..altissimo on my baritone..??..why should I waste the time..??..more than one way to 'skin a cat'..Miaww..!!
...I'm only a musician and the funds don't stretch to a new horn each time I want to play something different! Cheaper to rely on practice! Time rich, cash poor...

N

Got it.... love it! Ok, I'm a rubbish clarinet player but what a sound. It's gorgeous. I'm in love. A quick query for anyone woh might know- I'm now owner of a Selmer Bundy bass clarinet with a Selemr Bundy mouthpiece- in general, are these 'pieces regarded as much cop? I'd been tempted to pick up some sort of Vandoren as an alternative- assuming the 'out of the box' one isn't generally likely to be much good... anyone any thoughts on this?

I, too am playing on a student quality wooden Noblet. It is an older horn I picked up on Ebay for US$1200 a couple of years ago. I have it mated up with a Roger Garret Medium mpce, and use the same reeds on it as I use on my tenor saxes. I do a lot of theater work, and need to be able to grab the horn in a hurry and play a piannissimo low note, or a fortissimo note in the altissimo range. The Garret mouthpiece and the Noblet insrument combination has the flexibility to do that; the tone quality, intonation and response are good from Eb1 all the way to G4. I should say that I am not a "real" clarinet player; my primary instrument is piccolo/flute (hence the photo of me stomping around playing a piccolo while I was in the Navy.) I am self-taught on clarinet, and find that the bass clarinet is much easier to play and sound good on than a standard Bb soprano clarinet.

Got it.... love it! Ok, I'm a rubbish clarinet player but what a sound. It's gorgeous. I'm in love. A quick query for anyone woh might know- I'm now owner of a Selmer Bundy bass clarinet with a Selemr Bundy mouthpiece- in general, are these 'pieces regarded as much cop? I'd been tempted to pick up some sort of Vandoren as an alternative- assuming the 'out of the box' one isn't generally likely to be much good... anyone any thoughts on this?

Jules, I've no idea about the Bundy 'pieces, but I do know that Vandoren don't do a big fat mouthpiece for bass like they do for Bb clari. I play on a Vandoren 5JB on Bb clari, but on bass I couldn't get anything as large in the lay as that. I've since also got a Pomarico Jazz** Crystal mouthpiece for bass, and one for Bb clari that's very much the same as the 5JB.

The lay/chamber on these is big enough that I don't overblow down the clarinets, and can do all the jazzy tricks (not much of a classical sound, but hey..!). I used to use a narrow lay (normal?) mouthpiece but the sound was pretty strangled, till I discovered the 5JB and didn't overpower it any more.

Hope that's helped,

Nick

Leaks all fixed, refaced Leblanc mouthpiece obtained from the splendid "Warp-X" of sax on the Web (a very interesting player in his own right), settling down on Plasticover 2.5s and sorely tempted to use the giant misery stick on the Vienna gig (a few tracks with Cello bass lines which i should be able to replicate without embarassing myself) ... wish me luck on that one....

Bass Clarinet reeds are interchangable with bari sax reeds, I played both in school, and you can use either/or. I think Van Doren is good for a mouthpiece, and so are Yamahas, because they are consitstent.