Taming The Saxophone

Bass Clarinetist looking to move to the sax side

Jen B

Subscriber
Hi - I'm an adult beginner and hoping you can tell me that grade 3 Bass Clarinet 25 years ago will stand me in reasonable stead?!:eek: I used to play a teeny bit but have decided as per the quote in Jeanette's profile that the time will pass anyway so I should playing again NOW rather than waiting on some mythical 'perfect' moment.

I have a bass clarinet and a regular clarinet and am in the process of borrowing an alto off a friend - she doesn't play anymore - but she describes it as 'wrong -slung' which has me confused.
I did have a 20's silver C melody - and might re-acquire that... but my true love at least in terms of sound is the bari. Sadly I don't have a helpful friend to lend me one of those!
I've started working through an old Boosey and Hawkes clarinet book and can still do a chromatic scale without too much squonking so I guess I practice and save up for a baritone...my children don't need shoes right?! mummy needs to sound like Leo P!

nigeld

I think I need a different mouthpiece
Subscriber
Welcome to the Café.
Bari Saxes are great fun. A noble ambition.

Unfortunately, as you will have realised, they are also expensive. But there are some Chinese ones that don't require the purchaser to get a mortgage (or at least, not so large a mortgage). I haven't tried one, so I don't know how good they are, but Headwind in Bristol sees to be selling a lot of theirs.
Zetland Baritone Saxophone

If you want to be like Leo P, you will need to practice your dance moves as well as your scales. :happydance:

Keep Blowing

Commercial Subscriber
Hi - I'm an adult beginner and hoping you can tell me that grade 3 Bass Clarinet 25 years ago will stand me in reasonable stead?!:eek: I used to play a teeny bit but have decided as per the quote in Jeanette's profile that the time will pass anyway so I should playing again NOW rather than waiting on some mythical 'perfect' moment.

I have a bass clarinet and a regular clarinet and am in the process of borrowing an alto off a friend - she doesn't play anymore - but she describes it as 'wrong -slung' which has me confused.
I did have a 20's silver C melody - and might re-acquire that... but my true love at least in terms of sound is the bari. Sadly I don't have a helpful friend to lend me one of those!
I've started working through an old Boosey and Hawkes clarinet book and can still do a chromatic scale without too much squonking so I guess I practice and save up for a baritone...my children don't need shoes right?! mummy needs to sound like Leo P!
Welcome, don't worry about the kids shoes,

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Welcome, welcome

The bariI itch will be worth scratching when you get the chance

You'll just have to hope, many years hence, the children won't bear a grudge about their shoeless childhood when they choose your nursing home

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Subscriber
Hi Jen and welcome to the cafe! As far as music and insttuments go, my motto is 'play what you love playing and like the sound of'. Many years back, I used to play tenor sax in a (classical) 'wind orchestra' and the sound of the bass clarinet was the sound I loved most. So rich and resonant! These days I play (tenor) sax in Big Bands and I love the bari sound in the sax sections. I've tried one once and found it surprisingly easy to play (the jump fro. tenor was easier than to soprano).

I hope you at some stage find a 2nd hand bari that doesn't cost an arm and a leg . Or find a local band that's in desperate need of a bari player and will subside the putchase!

Top Bottom