PPT

M/Pieces - Ligs Bass/bari?

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Couple of old big chamber mpcs on e bay just now, billed as bass or bari. They arent that cheap so question is, are the mouthpiece of a bass and a mouthpiece of a bari interchangable, or is it that they are very nearly so? If close, then one size wont fit all as its all down to the volume, I believe.

Anyone know?
Cheers
Mike

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
They're not the same, but some guys used bari pieces on bass Afik.

Locality
London
Baritone mouthpieces should work fine on bass. Obviously the tuning will be a bit different and you'll have to make up for the difference in equivalent tip opening but it'll work fine

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Baritone mouthpieces should work fine on bass. Obviously the tuning will be a bit different and you'll have to make up for the difference in equivalent tip opening but it'll work fine

Thanks, but its the other way around that concerns me. I would buy for bari, these sellers dont say its bari or its bass, just for bari or bass. If bass are not great on bari, no gain for me. The big old mpc is the one I am looking for, but they are too expensive for guessing.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Try getting the measurements from the seller.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
In my opinion, the older, large-chambered pieces can work OK on vintage baritones but will be a bit dull and hard work on a modern baritone. It depends what sort of horn you play and what sound you are looking for,

Rhys

jeremyjuicewah

Locality
Costa Blanca Spain
Hi Rhys, its a pre WW2 Pennsylvania and I think I need one of them pickle barrel mouthpieces to get the best out of it. I think I have one lined up which I can try, but its a few hundred km away and I am not going that way for a month or so. What I want is better intonation, just better everything, you know? My PPT is probably the best, followed by a Dukoff, but they are just not quite right for this old horn. I am saving them because if my neck holds out I would like to buy a modern A bari one day soon.
Cheers
Mike

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Try to find a Caravan, Bilger, E Rousseau (R) ... (more "classical" mothpieces). The tip openings on these brands goes from 0.068" - 0.100". Maybe too narrow to be used in rock ' n' roll music or as soloist/only saxplayer in the band. You want to be heard! You can open up a mouthpice or use ampflication. But I think it's hard to play modern bari honking on classical mouthpieces. I have an Pennsylvania (Kohlert made, mid 30's, split bell keys, botton G# key touch ...) and I can't play in the same way on the Pennsylvania as I can do on my Martin from the 60's. My current bari mouthpiece is a "SG Low Rider". The man who desinged the mouthpiece was/is playing a "The Martin Baritone". Best mouthpiece for me and my baritone. So far!!

Baritone mouthpiece on a basssax? I know bassaxplayers the are using baritone mouthpieces on thier bass saxes. They are using thier bass saxes in jazz from the 20's or popular/contemporary music. I also know players who are playing bass sax in orchestral/classic music and they always use a bass sax mouthpieces that are designed in the same style as the original moutpieces. The say you lose the character of bass sax by using a baritone mouthpiece on a bass sax. On the other side two of my favourite bass sax players are using baritone mouthpieces on thier bass saxes. Dana Colley (Morphine) plays a "Bari" baritone mouthpiece on his Beusher bass sax from the 20's. Angelo Moore (Fishbone) is play a Dukoff super chamber bari piece on his Vito/Noblet bass sax from the 50's. Moore is using the same mouthpiece on baritone and bass sax. That not the case with Colley. He use Berg Larsen baritone mouthpiece on his baritone sax.

Baritone mpc on bass sax?. Depends on how picky you are. I like Colley and Moore. I doubt that I would make any notice if the changed to bass sax mouthpices!?!?!

Last edited:

jonf

Locality
Betelgeuse
Hi Rhys, its a pre WW2 Pennsylvania and I think I need one of them pickle barrel mouthpieces to get the best out of it. I think I have one lined up which I can try, but its a few hundred km away and I am not going that way for a month or so. What I want is better intonation, just better everything, you know? My PPT is probably the best, followed by a Dukoff, but they are just not quite right for this old horn. I am saving them because if my neck holds out I would like to buy a modern A bari one day soon.
Cheers
Mike

I've got an old Pennsylvania as well, and I use a Runyon Smoothbore 10 on it. It does what I want and I have no intonation issues with it.

I have tried a vintage mouthpiece on it, and I can see no real benefit from a miniscule tip opening and a baffle-less design with a big chamber. I found intonation no better, but had much restricted volume and projection and a dull, woolly tone. You say you want better everything. I doubt you'll get that from a vintage piece.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I've got an old Pennsylvania as well, and I use a Runyon Smoothbore 10 on it. It does what I want and I have no intonation issues with it.

I have tried a vintage mouthpiece on it, and I can see no real benefit from a miniscule tip opening and a baffle-less design with a big chamber. I found intonation no better, but had much restricted volume and projection and a dull, woolly tone. You say you want better everything. I doubt you'll get that from a vintage piece.
I agree with all of this. I had an old Pan American bari that I played with a Brilhart Level Air. The 1937 Conn currently in my keeping works well with a PPT 8* (and the vintage Berg that came with it).

nigeld

Too many mouthpieces
Café Supporter
Locality
Bristol, UK
I think I need one of them pickle barrel mouthpieces to get the best out of it

I have an old Bundy pickle-barrel bari mouthpiece which someone has refaced to 0.95. I thought it would be good for my Buescher Aristocrat but I couldn't get it to play in tune. If you want to try out a pickle-barrel, you are welcome to try it - no expectation that you would buy.

Latest: Members' Recordings