PPT mouthpieces

Miscellaneous Baroque solos or with piano

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Locality
The Malverns, Worcs
Hi all,

I am planning to give a Baroque recital later in the year, and I would like suggestions of Cello or Bassoon pieces that would transpose well to Bari Sax.
They could be solo or with piano accompaniment.
I would prefer something of 5-10-15 minute length, so a Sonata or similar would be good.

I am already playing a Telemann sonata on Alto, so preferably by someone else.

Other than that I don't think I have a preference. If you can link to a Spotify or YouTube recording, that would be useful (but I could look it up myself) and if you can suggest where to buy the sheet music, that would be good too.

thanks

There are scores of bari sax solos on Smartmusic at all levels of difficulty that are in the Baroque style. Most of them have the music on the screen. All of them can be practiced with the piano accompaniment at whatever tempo you choose.

I know you're looking for bari an dmore to come in a mo... For alto or soprano you could go with say Handel recorder sonata, which would be accompanied. There's the entire flute, oboe and violin repertoire you could look at:violin sonatas by Correlli, the oboe concerto by Bach in D minor (often transcribed for violin). Albinoni is another bet.

Most baroque repertoire will have versions available on imslp.org (e.g. this)

From cello repertoire we have Bach cello suites for unaccompanied option. The Barenreiter editons are usually regarded as the best (Urtext) too many (e.g. Tortellier) have ludicrous editorial changes. IMSLP here

There are plenty of concertos by Vivaldi, e.g. this on in Gminor

Other composers to look at: Henry Purcell, solo bass viol repertoire by Marais That was a link to a chaconne. There are trio sonatas by Avison (English composer) where you could play the bass continuo part

Boismortier sonatas are good fun - I have played one on bassoon, but I can't remember which. I bought it in Howarths. There are some on IMSLP. If there is a midi version, you can import it directly into Sibelius and transpose - I've just done this with some Boismortier duets which I play with my teacher.

Good shout @nigeld - I think I've got some Boismortier cello music if I go digging

From cello repertoire we have Bach cello suites for unaccompanied option. The Barenreiter editons are usually regarded as the best (Urtext) too many (e.g. Tortellier) have ludicrous editorial changes. IMSLP here
At least 2 of them (1 and 3) have been transcribed for sax by Jean-Marie Londeix (pub. Lemoine).

At the moment, I am looking at Sarabande (Op5 No 7) and Gigue (Op 5 No 9) by Archangelo Corelli

Once I have them transposed, I will make a decision on whether I can actually play them!

I can't imagine the Sarabande will be a problem. Just keep tone and intonation under control.

The Gigue will be a bit more of a challenge at the right speed. I've a feeling I've played this sometime in the past. I'll have to have a rummage about in my music.

Good luck!

There is a Sarabande and Gigue by Corelli arranged by Voxman and published by Rubank in Smart Music. It does not have the music on screen, but does provide a harpsichord accompaniment.