support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Best value baritone?

I don't think it's the "V" word it's more the "G" word in play here - Greed - the real victims are the poor Indonesians working in the factories and then pop home after work to their fixed abode in the Jakarta rubbish tip...

Greg S.
Then your generosity of spirit should comfort you when you pay full wack

I bought the Thomann BariPRO - as a back-up horn. It's made in Taiwan - not China (rumour here in Denmark says it is made by Mauriat). It arrived perfectly packaged and 100% leak free. Generally, I'm happy with it. Even the supplied mouthpiece is ok - not unlike a Selmer S80-D. The springs are set too stiff for my taste, so I have a bit of work ahead of me here.

Bo

Interesting variety of newer horns here.

FWIW, when one gets into a new horn in the €2500-3000....you are well into the Zone (and above) of a used Yani or Yama....one of those plus you keep some of that money in your pocket..no horse in this race for me.....just sayin'.

FWIW, when one gets into a new horn in the €2500-3000....you are well into the Zone (and above) of a used Yani or Yama....one of those plus you keep some of that money in your pocket..no horse in this race for me.....just sayin'.
Not exactly falling over used Yam/Yan baris this side of the pond

A YBS-32 in good condition if you're patient. I was. A Yani? Not so sure...

+1 for the John Packer Cadence. I don't know if they still do this deal but they used send their horns out with touring bands as a promotional gimmick, then sell them on at a discount when they got them back. My bari had done a European tour backing Seal and had obviously been fettled to as near perfection as a £1200 bari can get, and still, 7 years later, plays more than adequately. Not having played many other baris, I must admit I don't have much basis for comparison though!

In terms of sound I'd give first place to the BW (I haven't seen a recent one), second place to the JP and third to the old G4m - the Rosedale needs a tweak before I can ascertain its true character.
For build quality it looks like the Rosedale might steal the crown from the BW, with the JP running up behind and the G4M bringing up the rear.

I'll be reviewing the Rosedale in due course.

Any update on the Rosedale review? What did you think of the sound in the end compared to the other baritones?

I bought the Thomann BariPRO - as a back-up horn. It's made in Taiwan - not China (rumour here in Denmark says it is made by Mauriat). It arrived perfectly packaged and 100% leak free. Generally, I'm happy with it. Even the supplied mouthpiece is ok - not unlike a Selmer S80-D. The springs are set too stiff for my taste, so I have a bit of work ahead of me here.

Bo
I played a new Thomann low Bb bari for some weeks ago. A great bari. I like low Bb baris instead of low A. Not many who are making a low Bb bari these days.

Back
Top Bottom