Saxophones Baritones

thomsax

What do you prefer?

Never played Bb but I like the more saxophonic look
I like low Bb baris because they have "fatter" tone. I simply sounds and playes better on a low Bb compared to a low A. On the other side I've never owned a better low A bari like Selmer, Yamaha, Yangisawa .... . Just low A Weltklang, Amati, Corton Deluxe (Yani stecils). There are many good bari players on low A baris. A big inspiration for me was/is Steve Berlin (Los Lobos The Blasters). He played a Conn 12 M or Buescher along with Lee Allen on The Blasters shows and some recordings. I think he is on a low A today? Dana Colley and David Woodford are still on low Bb baris. My bari is a "The Martin Baritone" but would love to own a "The Martin Magna Baritone" to low A as well.;) Steve Berlin on bari with "The Blasters".
View: https://youtu.be/rRC0JuDz94I

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Any update on the Rosedale review? What did you think of the sound in the end compared to the other baritones?
Actually, I had it delivered in the last couple of days and took it to my technician who recommended sending it back... Several pads didn't seal but the bigger problem is that there is significant play in several pillars. I'm contemplating trying again (rolling the die) but might just get something a bit more expensive.

EdJ

The Bauhaus BS-PD I bought about 2 years ago is brilliant. I tried a shed load including second hand Yamaha, Yani and Selmers also JP Cadence and Howarth Chiltern. Bauhaus seemed best value for money. My old 1930s Pennsylvania low Bb could really blast but was so bent out of shape anything below low D was not amenable to rapidity hence the GAS. I would recommend Bauhaus if still as good as mine

Stephen Howard

Actually, I had it delivered in the last couple of days and took it to my technician who recommended sending it back... Several pads didn't seal but the bigger problem is that there is significant play in several pillars. I'm contemplating trying again (rolling the die) but might just get something a bit more expensive.
I've written the update to the G4M bari review but haven't yet published it (got a whole bunch of reviews to sort for the next update) - but I can tell you that my closing line for the Rosedale is:

"The one caveat is that Ultra-Cheap horns can be very variable - both in terms of one example to the next and in one batch to the next - so the onus is on the buyer to check for issues as soon as possible after purchase.
If you get lucky, and/or you fork out for a proper set up, the Rosedale doesn't do a bad job at all."

Looks like I was bang on the money - and will include a digest of your comments in the review.

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
I've written the update to the G4M bari review but haven't yet published it (got a whole bunch of reviews to sort for the next update) - but I can tell you that my closing line for the Rosedale is:

"The one caveat is that Ultra-Cheap horns can be very variable - both in terms of one example to the next and in one batch to the next - so the onus is on the buyer to check for issues as soon as possible after purchase.
If you get lucky, and/or you fork out for a proper set up, the Rosedale doesn't do a bad job at all."

Looks like I was bang on the money - and will include a digest of your comments in the review.
Yeah, I think I got a dud. It's a little frustrating because most of the sax seems to be good quality, but if there's play in the pillars it's not going to be good long-term (even if it would seal properly now, which mine didn't even do)... I live in Switzerland so getting a horn serviced is expensive - my technician thought the one I had could be corrected for about 800-1000 CHF (similar to USD).

I've now ordered a Thomann BariPro instead, which should arrive in June at some point. I'll give an update when I receive it!

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
My gold lacquered BariPRO just arrived from Thomann. This finish was back ordered so took a while. Will try it out in the next couple of days. Build quality seems nice from my initial inspection, packaging was great and the case seems really good. Very different first impression compared to the G4M.

malteof

Growing a beard
Subscriber
Small update: took the BariPRO to my technician today for a check up. He said it seems surprisingly well built and only needed some small adjustments. I asked him to go over the keywork as it was a bit inconsistent for me (springs not set to the same strength across the horn). He said CHF 3k was a good price.

Will post further impressions when I have time, haven't played much since beginning of June due to a second daughter arriving :)

Top Bottom