support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Baritone Wannabe

New Member Introduction
This is an introduction (not an ad or question about saxophone)

Dave Hep

Hi Everybody,
I'm recently retired and living in England. I played clarinet at school, so many, many years ago, and have attempted to play alto and tenor sax over the years since then, but never managed to get to a really proficient level; just stumbled along. Anyway, for a couple of years I've had this need to have a go at Baritone, but of course, they ain't cheap, so it's never happened. Well, I've sort of decided that at this stage in my life, I should be allowed to make things happen, so I'm going to get the money together and give it a go. Whilst I get there I've still got a clarinet, so I'm going to get the fingers and brain working with that; given that reading was always a weak point, especially swing time, it will be time well spent.

Hi Dave and welcome to the Caff.

Great decision to go for a baritone - that's what I play in big band and sax quartet.

Reading isn't the only way to play music and have a good time, but it can certainly help, especially if you want to play written arrangements with other people.

Where are you in England and are you thinking of getting a teacher ?

Rhys

HI Dave

Here's the Cafe mascot.
stoatright.png

Best of luck with your endeavor. Baritone is the BEST voice, IMHO :old:

Just get your budget up to something realistic and get a decent one, either new or used. Advice, stay away from the new cheapies...there's good reason they are cheap.

On this side of pond one really needs the equivalent of at least 1000 quid to get something solid, reputed, reliable, and ready to play, used.

New...more like the equivalent of 1850-2000 quid.

£1,499.... or so... is better spent on a used BigHorn than a new one, basically. That price point can get you something really GOOD used, and something quite suspect, new.

Welcome to the Cafe....BTW My baritone "Cadence" is still available on the Yardsale.. Just PM me and we may be able to come to a mutually satisfactory deal...Regards

Hi Dave and welcome to the Caff.

Great decision to go for a baritone - that's what I play in big band and sax quartet.

Reading isn't the only way to play music and have a good time, but it can certainly help, especially if you want to play written arrangements with other people.

Where are you in England and are you thinking of getting a teacher ?

Rhys
Hi Rhys,

Thanks.

I'm at the top end of Lincolnshire in the Scunthorpe area.

I probably will think about getting a teacher at some point, although I probably know enough to get started with the basics. It'll be a while yet though as it will probably take me 9mths. to get the money together; possibly a little less if I see something secondhand that looks useful. Previous experience though will mean that I don't want to go too cheap, otherwise you start having to fight the instrument, which isn't helpful when you're learning.

Dave

Just get your budget up to something realistic and get a decent one, either new or used. Advice, stay away from the new cheapies...there's good reason they are cheap.

On this side of pond one really needs the equivalent of at least 1000 quid to get something solid, reputed, reliable, and ready to play, used.

£1,499.... or so... is better spent on a used BigHorn than a new one, basically. That price point can get you something really GOOD used, and something quite suspect, new.
Thanks; that's useful information.

My experience with other instruments will keep me away from the cheap stuff; as I've said in another post, I've found that you end up fighting the instrument and often blaming yourself, when it's the instrument at fault.

I was aiming at the £3000 new mark as that is the price of a Conn-Selmer, which sounded as though it was probably half decent. I think that one of the problems though will be to know what is worth having; especially S/H, as my Alto and Tenor experience may not count for much. It's one of the reasons for coming on the forum.

You say that £1500 could get something S/H that's decent: if you could expend on that I'd be very grateful.

Dave

Welcome to the Cafe....BTW My baritone "Cadence" is still available on the Yardsale.. Just PM me and we may be able to come to a mutually satisfactory deal...Regards
Thanks.

Yes, I saw the one you have for sale, but unfortunately funds haven't been put together yet, otherwise (lockdown permitting) I'd be up there.

Dave

Actually, a good baritone saxophone doesn't have to be really expensive. I have owned low A horns, but they felt unwieldy, even after upgrading to a high end Yanagisawa B991. I sold this horn and started searching for a Low Bb MKVI locally, but that didn't work out. Instead, I too a chance on a Thomann Low Jazz, which I have found to be a good match for my needs and skills. Intonation on high E is a bit funky, but otherwise, there is an awful lot to like and not much to criticize. You don't need to take my word for it. After I bought my horn, this review from Stephen Howard emerged:

You can even splurge on a couple of high end mouthpieces and it will still set you back less than a lock of Elvis' hair:

JayeNM, this is exactly what my message of yesterday (which never reached you) was about. I read your favourable comments on another page about a Lignatone Baritone, and as a result purchased one which I am very happy with.
So thanks!

Thanks; that's useful information.

My experience with other instruments will keep me away from the cheap stuff; as I've said in another post, I've found that you end up fighting the instrument and often blaming yourself, when it's the instrument at fault.

I was aiming at the £3000 new mark as that is the price of a Conn-Selmer, which sounded as though it was probably half decent. I think that one of the problems though will be to know what is worth having; especially S/H, as my Alto and Tenor experience may not count for much. It's one of the reasons for coming on the forum.

You say that £1500 could get something S/H that's decent: if you could expend on that I'd be very grateful.

Dave
I can't expand on it much simply because I am across the Pond and am not familiar with European market. But here, a good, used Low Bb Baritone horn in serviced condition can be found pretty easily for $1500.

Talking about something like a vintage JK stencil, a King, Conn, Martin, Buescher, Holton, maybe a German Kohlert, a Pierret or a Beaugnier/Noblet/Vito horn.

If you wanted the Low A, a used B&S/Weltklang, or Couf, Dolnet, or something modern like a Jupiter or perhaps a Yani stencil (Vito, Whitehall, etc)...can be had for around $2000.

Point simply being that good, used Baritones are significantly cheaper than good, new ones. If you are open to investigate that route. If you feel modern keywork is required, then most models with modern keywork are gonna be Low A's....and you aren't likely to find a used Low A for $1500, honestly.

3000quid is a very good budget, you can certainly find something very good, new or used, for that amount. Conn-Selmer is a respectable horn, too.

Last edited:
JayeNM, this is exactly what my message of yesterday (which never reached you) was about. I read your favourable comments on another page about a Lignatone Baritone, and as a result purchased one which I am very happy with.
So thanks!
OK, cool. Good news. Yes I had that Lignatone in the shop for a real long time, simply because my friend couldn't decide whether to sell it or not so I gt to play it quite a bit. Glad yours turned out successfully.
They are massive-sounding and the intonation was pretty good too, if I recall.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom