support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Baritone stand recomendation wanted

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
Hi all, as some of you have guessed, I'm increasing the stable by one. A baritone is soon to grace my music room and I'm after some advice on stands. I don't want to rest my new baby on a cheep and cheerful type that may let me down. On the other hand, as I'm spending a large amount on the bari, I don't want to break the bank on a stand that's over engineered. So, do those of you that have bari's have a stand that you'd recommend? Do any of you have any horror stories of flimsy or poorly made stands that you'd steer well clear of?
I know I can rely on you lot to give me your honest opinions.
Thanks folks.

I have a very sturdy K&M stand for my bari. The only disadvantage is that it's not easily portable, compared to e.g. an alto stand.

Mine looks like this. There's loads of them about under various brand names. I paid about £20 for it 8 years ago. Gigged with it regularly, never let me down.

pjonahs bari is currently residing at Dooce Mansions (borrowed for a recording session) and it sits on a Rosetti stand that bears a strong resemblance to Nicks - very sturdy bit of kit.

So wotcha got then Pete?

Hi Taz

I have 2 Hercules sax stands that double up for alto and tenor they are very sturdy and also fold up easily for transportation,I don't see why their bari stands should be any less study, mine cost less than £20 each must be worth a look,best of luck with your search and your new sax...john

So wotcha got then Pete?

I haven't yet Bill, it's all top secret at the moment, but I'm looking at it on Friday (and hopefully bringing it home, I don't like to count chickens and all that!) But as soon as I get it home I'll let you all know (with pics cos it's flamin beautiful!)

Sounds like Love is in the air:welldone

My stand is a SaxRax bari stand which is pricey but very stable and convenient. Not the smallest when they are packed up, but still good.

Before that it was a K&M or K&M-style stand which was fine and about a fifth of the price of a SaxRax.

Rhys

In all honesty, if you want a proper stable stand for an expensive, fragile instrument like a bari, there's nothing to beat a SaxRax. I had a K & M before, and it was OK but not a patch on the Saxrax. Wouldn't trust mine to anything else.

I've had a Dixon for years and no problems. It can't fold up with your sax on it, unlike my last one.

Jim.

In all honesty, if you want a proper stable stand for an expensive, fragile instrument like a bari, there's nothing to beat a SaxRax. I had a K & M before, and it was OK but not a patch on the Saxrax. Wouldn't trust mine to anything else.

What was wrong with the K&M?

X 3 for saxrax

Yes expensive, but ultimate for quality and stability.
One more thought on this Taz, if you bought one and like it (which you would) they extend via more expensive parts in to a rack of stands and the tenor/alto versions attach with homology into (funilly enough) the ultimate rack.

SaxRax stands are quite incredible for gigging on stage - you can more or less throw your sax on, and the SaxRax will catch it. It doesn't tip over like a tripod stand can, and you can't knock the sax off.

No, I don't own one. I've got a K&M one which is perfectly good for holding up the sax in a controlled environment. I also bought a Jiffy stand from one of the chaps on here and it's very very good indeed - super stable 'play on' stand, and fully adjustable. I use this in theatre pit orchestras; when you're swapping quickly, it's quicker to move yourself than try to shift the baritone. The trouble with those is the frankly extortionate new purchase price.

I also have a Hercules Bass Clarinet stand, which is great, so I assume their bari stands are equally clever. I took this to my gig last night, didn't need it (or the Bass Clari) and then cursed when I realised I'd forgotten the Jiffy. Cue lots of sax juggling (risky) onto the K&M and standing up playing my unslung alto with Bari still round my neck! Not ideal...

Nick

What was wrong with the K&M?

Not much, it was OK, but as Saxnik mentions, the SaxRax is more stable and holds the sax securely whatever angle you put it in from. Personally, I think spending a couple of grand on a sax and then skimping fifty quid on anything other than the best available stand is a false economy.

Oh, and a nice bit of British manufacture, too.

Jon

Personally, I think spending a couple of grand on a sax and then skimping fifty quid on anything other than the best available stand is a false economy.

Yeah, spending £20 on something that's held the bari securely for 8 years was really stupid of me.

Yeah, spending £20 on something that's held the bari securely for 8 years was really stupid of me.

????

I was just expressing my opinion in response to a request from the OP for bari stand recommendation, not saying anyone who bought anything else was stupid or anything.

??

????

I was just expressing my opinion in response to a request from the OP for bari stand recommendation, not saying anyone who bought anything else was stupid or anything.

??

I fully agree with you and I am about to buy a Saxrax baritone sax stand. Like you, I don't regard anyone else as stupid for what they have bought, but I think a solidity approach is the correct one when supporting several thousand pounds worth of very heavy instrument! It's horses for courses, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom