support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Baritone Sax harness

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Café Supporter
Not sure if this was the right forum, but here goes.

I am thinking about making the move from Alto to Baritone :shocked:

One possibility is to share an instrument with a friend before going full out and buying one.
So I've looked at mouthpieces and ligatures, and got one or two in mind.

I was also looking at harnesses.
I play my alto with a Cebulla that was custom made to length for me by Johann, but I think I'll need to spread the weight of a bari across more than my neck, so I'm thinking of going the harness route.

Some of the comments I've read suggest that you shouldn't hang a bari on a plastic hook - only metal hooks should be used on a baritone. Since this would be a borrowed bari, I don't want it to bounce away from me!

Now, being a woman, I have a couple of "appendages" around which my bari harness will need to fit :shocked:

I've come across the Gemini Harness from Canada, which I like the look of and which can have a heavy duty metal hook, but the NeoTech and BG ones both appear to have plastic hooks, I can't see a ladies fit with a metal hook (maybe I'm just being blind?)

Are modern plastics (ABS say) safe for a bari? and do metal hook really wear through the hanging ring?

So many decisions, so much information... maybe I should just stick to the Alto??
Thanks

I use a Cebulla on baritone, with plastic hook. I think the plastic is absolutely fine. I don't like harnesses, I have a BG one that I bought for playing bass, but now I have the Cebulla, I'm quite happy with that for bass.

I really hate harnesses , and I only have little "manboobs", I imagine with proper ones it would be a bit of a nightmare.

My suggestion is to first of all see how you get on with the Cebulla.

I use a Cebulla on baritone, with plastic hook. I think the plastic is absolutely fine. I don't like harnesses, I have a BG one that I bought for playing bass, but now I have the Cebulla, I'm quite happy with that for bass.

I really hate harnesses , and I only have little "manboobs", I imagine with proper ones it would be a bit of a nightmare.

My suggestion is to first of all see how you get on with the Cebulla.

I agree with Pete. When I played my bari (and bass) with my BG harness it felt very constricting, as though I couldn't breathe properly. It had a plastic hook and that seemed fine.

Now I play bari with a Cebulla strap (the plastic hook version) and it's comfortable and seems plenty strong enough.

Rhys

I'm using my husband's harness on the baritone, don't even know what brand it is, but it's got a plastic hook and works fine for me - no way I could have it on a strap around my neck unless I started some serious workout in the gym...:shocked:
Juju

I love harnesses! I use harness on alto, tenor and baritone. It makes me feel and play better. On bari I use an "extension strap" to get a good playing position.

You should try a BG S41 (lady model) harness. I think you can have it with double swivel hook or snap hook. Black or white.

Thomas

I've used a Neotech soft harness (with plastic clip) for my bari, which has the 'lift and separate' effect :rolleyes:, however since the purchase of my Cebulla (also plastic clip), I've felt quite comfortable and confident using this - its also much less hassle!!

Cheers,

Amanda

You should try a BG S41 (lady model) harness. I think you can have it with double swivel hook or snap hook. Black or white.

Is suggestion for Pete? >:)

I've used a Neotech soft harness (with plastic clip) for my bari, which has the 'lift and separate' effect :rolleyes:,

Maybe this would work better for you Pete :confused:

however since the purchase of my Cebulla (also plastic clip), I've felt quite comfortable and confident using this - its also much less hassle!!

No wonder there are so many complementary posts in the best strap thread. Must be a lot of moobs in the forum :mrcool

I don't have a bari but do have a tenor which is heavy enough for me!, but have had the usual battle with straps and harness, have a huge collection!

When I first started I couldn't stand the feel even of the alto on my neck and didn't persevere with a neck strap and straight away got a neotech harness and alsot used that for the tenor when I got it, hated the lift and seperate look and the feeling of restriction around the ribs.

After a couple of years I thought I'd try a Cebulla, and although feel confident that it is not pressing on my vertabrae (which used to worry me!) I still found after a while my neck muscles started to go a bit numb and tingle so I abandoned it pretty quickly and went back to the neotech. I recently saw these Freeaction Light harnesses and got one which I use all the time - very comfortable and makes the sax feel very light - http://www.sax.co.uk/acatalog/Freeneck_Harnesses.html

I would like to try the cebulla again as the harness is such hassle, but am paranoid about my neck! My question is can I actually do any damage to my neck muscles if they are feeling sore/tingly or will this go away in time if I persevere using the cebulla and build it up slowly? :)

ps....sorry for putting this in your thread Mandy! just thought while we were on the subject I'd mention it....

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is can I actually do any damage to my neck muscles if they are feeling sore/tingly or will this go away in time if I persevere using the cebulla and build it up slowly? :)

I think you have to let a doctor decide that. My doctor and physiotherapist recommended me to use harness or shoulder strap instead of neckstrap. My neck became better and I also began to play in a more relaxed way.

Thomas

On a serious note, the harness with a pole down the centre of the chest looks as if it'll be messing up the mouthpiece angle with diaphragm breathing.

Do you mean the Jazzlabs SaxHolder?

jazzlab-saXholder-ready-to-use.jpg

Not at all, if anything it will help with diaphragm breathing as any weight on the pad thingy could help exercise abdominal muscles. I tried one of these at Frankfurt and did nit like it because the stomach support shifted to the left. I mentioned this to Silvin who makes them and he has changed the design to stop this happening. I am going to be stocking these at the musicstore.

Pete, my style of play is rather "active" with me bouncing around the stage, I think I'd spend too much time worrying if the contraption would fall off as it doesn't look too secure? I'm sure you have an opinion on that seeing as you've handled it?
Mandy, when I play bari, I use the Cebulla strap with the plastic hook and find it to be both very comfortable and very secure too. During one tune I have to swap from bari to tenor which involves a quite dramatic "swinging" the bari out of the way under my left arm. I feel confident that the Cebulla won't let me down!

Mandy - is this a low Bb bari, or a low A bari?

I despise harnesses (or trusses, as I am apt to call them), and shoulder slings have only been marginally better for me - I have a collection of them (Neotech large and regular harnesses, BG large and regular shoulder slings, and a couple of other harnesses) and if you're interested I can post them to you and you can see what you like, for cheap.

I'm well into baris and used to own two - a Yanagisawa 991 low A, and a Selmer MkVI low Bb. The Cebulla bari strap was easily the best solution for me for the heavy low A sax - really comfortable and didn't cause the numbness in my neck and arms that other straps did. I finally sold the Yani as I prefer the MkVI marginally - but I don't find low Bb baris to be excessively heavy. In terms of weight, they're like playing chunky tenors - and a normal strap works just fine for me.

Then again, I'm 6'3" and take size XXL in more or less everything, and I'm guessing that you're probably smaller than that.

I think you have to let a doctor decide that. My doctor and physiotherapist recommended me to use harness or shoulder strap instead of neckstrap. My neck became better and I also began to play in a more relaxed way.

Thomas

Yes of course you're right - I tried it again today and apart from going numb to the left of my neck it just felt so heavy and uncomfortable, so I'm going to stick with my harness :thumb:

On a serious note, the harness with a pole down the centre of the chest looks as if it'll be messing up the mouthpiece angle with diaphragm breathing.

My freeneck one has a metal strut thing, and I have made a little leather pad for the bottom where it sits on the fleshy part of your stomach just to spread the weight so it doesn't dig in, and takes all the weight - doesn't interfere with your breathing at all unlike the standard harnesses which I found did. :thumb: Don't know whether one of these would hold the weight of a bari though, fine with the Tenor though :)

Not sure if this was the right forum, but here goes.

I am thinking about making the move from Alto to Baritone :shocked:

One possibility is to share an instrument with a friend before going full out and buying one.
So I've looked at mouthpieces and ligatures, and got one or two in mind.

I was also looking at harnesses.
I play my alto with a Cebulla that was custom made to length for me by Johann, but I think I'll need to spread the weight of a bari across more than my neck, so I'm thinking of going the harness route.

Some of the comments I've read suggest that you shouldn't hang a bari on a plastic hook - only metal hooks should be used on a baritone. Since this would be a borrowed bari, I don't want it to bounce away from me!

Now, being a woman, I have a couple of "appendages" around which my bari harness will need to fit :shocked:

I've come across the Gemini Harness from Canada, which I like the look of and which can have a heavy duty metal hook, but the NeoTech and BG ones both appear to have plastic hooks, I can't see a ladies fit with a metal hook (maybe I'm just being blind?)

Are modern plastics (ABS say) safe for a bari? and do metal hook really wear through the hanging ring?

So many decisions, so much information... maybe I should just stick to the Alto??
Thanks

Hi,
I have switched from alto to baritone sax some time ago and i also experienced the difficulties of having all that weight in your neck. I tried a lot of different straps and also some harnesses. With the harness i find the pressure disturbing my breathing and it feels uncomfortable. During some months i'm experiencing with the B.A.Sling from holland and i must say that from everything i tried sofar this Sling gives me the maximum comfort possible with this heavy saxophone (Martin). In the beginning i had some difficulties with putting the Sling on and adjusting the proper height. I communicated this with the producer and a little time later he came up with a new design, covering my complaints. This new design made it easier to put it on and the is more space on the site that, in my opinion, will also give ladies more space on the breast. Fortunately i've solved my harass with my The Martin Baritone Saxophone and made it easier to pick up the instrument and play. I hope this will bring you something new to encounter. Just google the B.A.Sling and you'll find your way. Good luck with playing your baritone.....Brudus.

I use a shoulder strap with the baritone and never feel the weight. I use a Neotech with the tenor and never feel the weight. On the rare occasion that I play alto I use an ordinary sling and boy does my neck hurt.

Jim.

I have used a shoulder strap with the bari for years as well. But I might be looking for a good harness in the near future; I am home at the moment, with a tendon inflammation in my shoulder.

Difficult to say if it has anything to do with my posture or the strap (there could be many other causes), but I want to minimize the risks anyway.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom