support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Baritone PPT signature 7 compared to Yanagisawa 5 hard rubber

marc1024

Locality
Belgium
I currently play the stock Yanagisawa 5 hard rubber on my baritone.
I like the sound but it is missing a bit the deep firm tone on the lower notes.

In other posts I read that going to a higher tip opening would get a more full tone, so I wonder how does the PPT signature 7 sound and play, compared to the stock Yani 5 mpc ?
In the past, someone lend me a Selmer S80 C* to try, but I did not like the tone much, and also it was difficult to go from p to f dynamics, it seemed very quit and restricted.
I was also able to lend an Otto Link Super tone master 7 for a day or 2, and with a reed a bit sanded down I was well able to cope with the larger tip opening after a bit of getting used to it, it also had a more firm tone.

I particulary like the sound of the baritone in the youtube clip of the Quadraphones
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO0PRhCQ1ZQ
it starts on timestamp 1:25 Wow what a powerfull sound.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn4oJ3z22Es

On timestamp 0:40 another nice example

What are your thougts, would a PPT be a good switch from my stock Yani, to get to this kind of sound, or would you recommend something else ?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
That's some fearsome baritone sound. I can't make out what she's using. Possibly a Selmer soloist. It's a small fleeting image on a phone.
I get quite a bit of oomph out of a Selmer S80 C* pp to ff, using a Rico Royal 5 or a Vandoren blue 4.
The vandorens have a longer vamp and feel quite different.
It may be more about reeds than mouthpiece.
The Yani 5 is wider, by several thousandths, than the S80 C*. In general a smaller tip needs a harder reed.
I think experimenting with reeds might be the way to go to find your sound.
Bear in mind though that a recorded sound might not be a true representation of the "in the room" experience.

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
London
n other posts I read that going to a higher tip opening would get a more full tone,
I don't thinkl that is necesssarily the case.
so I wonder how does the PPT signature 7 sound and play, compared to the stock Yani 5 mpc ?
Probably a lot better (I would say that) but not necessarily due to the tip opening being wider.

marc1024

Locality
Belgium
But how would you compare it to the Yanagisawa hard rubber 5 mpc, does it have a darker/brighter/fuller/louder/softer sound.

I also see that is not available at this moment, when do you think it will become available again ?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Shotly after you order one probably. ;)
The incidence of players having used a Yani 5 and a PPT is probably very low.

Top Bottom