supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Baritone differences.

Vetinari

2 baritones, one a 1930's Buescher, the other a 5 yr old Bauhaus. Question is, why can I play top E, F, quite easily on the Buescher but not the Bauhaus, and bottom B, Bb, C on the Bauhaus but not the Buescher. Low A is also ok on Bauhaus but not available on the other.

BigMartin

I can't help much as I've never played a vintage bari, but the high notes on my B-W bari have always been easier for me then on any of my other saxes, and easier to control than the low notes on the same instrument. So I don't think its because of the design of the B-W bari.

Nick Wyver

noisy
Subscriber
Are they both equally well set up?

As far as I know my Yanagisawa B900 and 1936 Conn 12M are both pretty well set up (thank you Rupert). I play the Yanag a lot more than the Conn and I find the lower notes easier. Ergonomics come into it as well as familiarity. Palm key notes speak more easily on the Conn and can go noticeably louder. The situation was worse about 15 years ago but I enlarged the top octave hole on the Yanag a tad which improved the speaking of the palm key notes considerably. I'm not suggesting this is necessarily a good idea for you.

EdJ

Funnily enough when I started playing the Bauhaus bari again recently I found the same, I switched from Selmer C* (quite closed I think) and Legere 2.5 to a metal Berg Larsen 110 2 sms I think with a 2.5 or thereabouts cane reed of some description and it seemed better

Top Bottom