support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Bari wanted

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Hi every body

Does any of our number have for sale (or know of one) a baritone sax of a reasonable standard in the price range of six to eight hundred pounds.

Your help will be much appreciated....john

Hens teeth and the ordure of rocking horses are 2 things that come to mind! You could have a look at John Packer - they do a reasonably priced bari, i.e. about £1200, but they also sell returned rentals for less. My teacher has one and it's a good player.

Here is another bari in South Sweden. A Conn 12M -66 according to the ad. Looks like a crossbar? Some dings over the years, resolderings, but new pads. No mouthpiece. Price: 9500 s e k (£ 790.00 - 800.00).

Thomas

Thomsax, may i ask you an off topic question. Are you swedish or just living there, I`m just curious really because your english is really excellent, what i mean is that its not written as a non native english speaker would normally write, and if your not swedish can you read and speak that language... I looked at the pictures of the bari and wow what a difficult language that seems to be, normally I can pick out the odd word or two that seems common between lots of languages but swedish looks really difficult. My daughter is at uni studying languages and wants to travel to learn some new ones ( basic stuff obviously) I think i`ll show her that site, it might put her off Sweden for life....

Thomsax, may i ask you an off topic question. Are you swedish or just living there, I`m just curious really because your english is really excellent, what i mean is that its not written as a non native english speaker would normally write, and if your not swedish can you read and speak that language... I looked at the pictures of the bari and wow what a difficult language that seems to be, normally I can pick out the odd word or two that seems common between lots of languages but swedish looks really difficult. My daughter is at uni studying languages and wants to travel to learn some new ones ( basic stuff obviously) I think i`ll show her that site, it might put her off Sweden for life....

Thank you for the kind words ... but I think I make lots of mistakes when I'm writing in English. I'm Swedish or Scanish!! We are tallking a little special down here in the South of Sweden. Scania was a part of Denmark in the 17th century and we can still trace some of our old language which was called eastdanish. On the Danish island Bornholm in the Baltic sea the eastdanish is even more distinguished. Everyone starts to learn English in public shools when they are 8 years old. So most Swedes, more or less, understand and speak English. Your daughter should come to Sweden to study. We have elections in September and one issue is how we should get more people to come to Sweden to develope our country. We had a wave of English immigrants in the 19th century. They developed the Swedish wood industry up in the north.

Thomas

I bought the baritonesax and it has already found a new owner!!

Thomas

That will be me then!

I am deeply in debt to Thomas for his kindness and generosity of time. I spotted his reference to a Couesnon Monopole baritone sax in another thread, and sent a message to him straight away. I have a bit of a love affair with Couesnon Monopole instruments (some might say an infatuation, particularly if they have overheard my wife...)

I have series II soprano, alto and tenor (3 altos, if I am being honest about this, - oh, and a couple of clarinets) - the ones reviewed on Stephen Howard's web site are mine.

I have an old, pre 1937, nickel plated Monopole baritone that I bought and had shipped to me from France. It has a great voice (also set up by Stephen), but have been looking for years for a more modern one that has ergonics the same as my others, and wondering how a 1950's bari might sound.

To cut a short story shorter, Thomas has bought the sax, got it to his house, packed it up and sent it on to me. It left Sweden last Thursday and arrived in Southampton yesterday, 4 days later.

The potential for complications are huge - the sax is big and heavy, money needs to change hands, and I am currently in Perth, Western Australia. I will not actually see the instrument until mid August!

But fortune favours the brave.

Two things come out of this story.
1. Don't be afraid to look wider than UK shores for the sax you want. It may feel and appear difficult and complicated, but with time, patience, and a bit of luck, you may get the instrument you want for the rpice you want to pay for it. As long as you have accepted that the sax will need money spent on it for at least a set up, and possibly the body straightened and more major work, then go for it. That Conn 12M looks great. The fact that it is overseas only means it has to travel further.

2. Thomsax is one of life's great human beings

And one more thing – I might find it difficult to justify having 2 baritones in the house (though I will give it my best shot) – so there may be a nickel plated, pre 1937 Couesnon Monopole bari sax on the market come August. Set up and ready to go.

Chris

Hi Everybody

Now I have to come come clean,I started this thread to help my tutor who was looking for a bari to do some theatre work.He knows I'm always trolling the web and ebay looking at saxes and asked if I came across one to let him know, so I thought I would try the cafe and as expected you have all been brilliant, the end of the story is he has decided to go for the new gear 4 music bari,So thank you all for your help:welldone:welldone:welldone:welldone...john

That will be me then!

To cut a short story shorter, Thomas has bought the sax, got it to his house, packed it up and sent it on to me. It left Sweden last Thursday and arrived in Southampton yesterday, 4 days later.... ..... and I am currently in Perth, Western Australia. I will not actually see the instrument until mid August!

Chris

Jolly good of the postman to leave it behind the shed and sign the delivery note in your absence,........ I'll let you know how it plays when I've got the booty... I mean beauty back at my secret hide out, nowhere near Rugby! :w00t:

Jolly good of the postman to leave it behind the shed and sign the delivery note in your absence,........ I'll let you know how it plays when I've got the booty... I mean beauty back at my secret hide out, nowhere near Rugby! :w00t:

Shed, SHED - you were lucky. We had to make do wit' cardboard box at bottom o' garden....

No, safely stored at work and staying fresh in its wrapper til I return. But if the next-door neighbour of one of my work colleagues wants to nip up to Highfield to take it for a test drive, it can be easily arranged....

Chris

I might perhaps explain why and how a French Couesnon bari found in Sweden ends up Southampton, England!!

I’ve been interested in a Couesnon bari because I played a SML bari from the 50’s some years ago and it was a nice sax. I assume that the SMLs baritone from 50’s was made by Couesnon. I’m not sure about this, so please don’t take this for sure.

I found a Couesnon bari in Stockholm, Sweden. I contacted the seller and we talked a couples of times over telephone. A nice person. I tried to justify another barisax for myself, I already have barisaxes that I’m not playing that much, but it was hard. My ”The Martin” bari -62 is the right baritone sax for me!! I also realized that I was better to put away some money if the Martin Magna barilow A in Copenhagen is going to be put out for sale. A friend of mine was looking for a bari,maybe he was interested? He is playing in a big band and he wanted a bari to low A!?!?! Then Chris e-mailed me and an oportunity turned up to help the seller with selling his bari and even cure Chris desire for a more modern Couesnon baritone!

It was a quite easy operation to get the baritone to England. To buy a horn without playing it before is not to recommend, but it seems to be likes this most of the times! The Couesnon bari was an easy mission:

The seller discribed and explain his Couesnon bari correct. He felt secure. He e-mailed me more pictures that show the status of the sax. We agreed about the price, after Chris intentions, and how I would pay him. I decided that the sax would be in my possession, even if Chris insisted on paying me in advance, until the the sax was in England. If the sax wasn’t as it was described or playing well, I would kept it! I wanted it to be like that, no matter what Chris wrote!!

My son lives in Stockholm, just two stops away from the seller with the subway, so he could collect and bring the sax with him on the train next time he was heading for home. I have paid the seller in advance (transfer via our internetbank accounts) so there would be no moneytalk at all when the sax was collected.

The Couesnon arrived to my house on the 26/4. I played and looked at the sax. I took some additional pictures and send them to Australia!! I had some trouble with sending the pictures. So I had to send one piture at the time. The condition of sax was as the seller had described it and it was also playing as described. The sax should is going to a woodwind technician for a check up when it comes to Southampton or Chris is back home. It’s not a new or an overhauled sax. The sax was sold as is. The case was better than desribed. A huge and retangular case.

Chris and I ”talked” about different ways to have the sax over to England. A friend of mine is working two days a week in London so maybe she can take the sax with her. Even my daughters intended to go to London for a visit. Maybe they could take the bari with them on the plane? A more ordinary way to ship the sax was also mentioned: As a package with a freight company! And it was this way the sax was brought to England.

To pack the bari was the hardest thing. I didn’t clamp the keys (wood/rubber/cork wedges) but I put bubble plastic between the bell and body, over the keys so the keys were closed …. . I filled out every space in the case to prevent the sax to not move in the instrument case. Plastic Foam- and bubble plastic in the bottom , sides and on the top of the sax. The neck was placed in the accessory box with lots of , you guessed right, bubble plastic. Outside the case I made sides of cellplastic boards (I use to call it frigolite) that was 5 cm thick.. I had to cut out for the latches, handle … . I put the sides together with two rolls of packing tape, c 50 meters. I wraped black plastic around the sax. Before I packed the sax i took it to the gym for weight;. 13,2 kg without packagematerial. I got some crazy comments from some huge guys who are traning for ”Strong Man” competitions. I suggested them instead of pulling trucks, carry stones, trundle tractor tires … they should consider to begin to play the baritone saxophone. Here we’re really talking about that the horn would be an natural extension of themselves!! The weight limit for the freight company is max 15 kg and the weight was 13,2 kg without packagematerial. And the package was allowed to be max 1200 mm lenght. Otherwise it has went up a level. I made it! Not to heavy and not to big! The package was shiped from Sweden on Wednesday and arrivied in England on Monday the week after.

When I got a sign from Chris that the baripackage was in Southamptpon I did a money reqeust via PayPal. Chris told me that there would probably be a fee of c 3%. He was right!! So an additional money request was made to cover the fees.

Now a nice Couesnon baritonesax is waiting to be unpacked in Southampton by it’s owner. I’m glad it went so smooth as it did. I do hope that the sax will fit for Chris demands.

Why did I do it? Beside that the seller and Chris seemed to be nice and good people and I also like to ”Spreading Saxes Around”!! More saxes to the people! I always has some small non-prifit projects going on. Rocksax workshops, recording projects, sharing clips from magazines, pictures ….. so I’m thriving with the saxophone and it has been like this for the last 40 years.

Chris, Good luck with your Couesnon baritonesax! I wish you both all the best!

This reply was not much about the sax itselves. So I’m off topic again?

Thomas

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom