All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Bari Transcription

MikeTerry_bari_icon

Anyone know if a transcription exists of the bari accompaniment in (I'm a) Roadrunner Baby by Jr. Walker & the All-Stars? Jr. wails, but Mike Terry's bottom steals the show, if you ask me. Would appreciate it, guys.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Welcome to the Café :)

Please do say hi in the doorbell section of the forum, and introduce yourself.

Not so sure we should be discussing Mike Terry's bottom though:eek:

Jx

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
The bottom line is:
You can probably do it yourself. Listening to the youtube clip it seems he is building a simple bass-like line.
Knowing the chords will help you a lot.

Thanks for pointing it to us. Great tenor on top too.

David Dorning

Locality
Chichester, UK
The bottom line is:
You can probably do it yourself. Listening to the youtube clip it seems he is building a simple bass-like line.
Knowing the chords will help you a lot.

Thanks for pointing it to us. Great tenor on top too.

I just listened to it on Youtube. I grew up with that sax sound in the 60s/70s, and remembered every note! It’s been in my head for 40 years and still sounds fresh, takes me right back to being 15. Just thought someone might be interested in that…..

MikeTerry_bari_icon

You gents sound like pros; I was an average high school marching band saxophonist back in the sixties, dropped music altogether, then two years ago started taking clarinet lessons. I play tenor sax and bari on the side. I have never played keyboard, and know next to nothing about chords and theory.

I have tried transcribing the bari accompaniment purely by ear, and what really gives me trouble is the lick he plays in the 10th and 11th measures where the guitar tabs say B-flat to F major. Any ideas?

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I have the barilines for our version of "Roadrunner" which I think is close to what Mike Terrry is playing. In concert F. I have the chords, but you seems to them already. If I find bari charts I pm you.

Mike Terry played lots of recording in the 60's and 70's. Another bariplayer that also was heard in those days was Johnny Williams (Count Basie saxsection, Ike & Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and The Pipes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops ...). Both Terry and Williams did lots of recordings but hard to find thier names on the record/sleeves. Stax had Mar-Keys and bariman Floyd Newman. In LA Steve Douglas played baritone on lots of recording session. Alvin Tyler was in the south. Ronnie Cuber is also a big bari name. Most of the R&b honkers in the 50's had a good bariplayer in thier band.

MikeTerry_bari_icon

I have the barilines for our version of "Roadrunner" which I think is close to what Mike Terrry is playing. In concert F. I have the chords, but you seems to them already. If I find bari charts I pm you.

Mike Terry played lots of recording in the 60's and 70's. Another bariplayer that also was heard in those days was Johnny Williams (Count Basie saxsection, Ike & Tina Turner, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and The Pipes, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Four Tops ...). Both Terry and Williams did lots of recordings but hard to find thier names on the record/sleeves. Stax had Mar-Keys and bariman Floyd Newman. In LA Steve Douglas played baritone on lots of recording session. Alvin Tyler was in the south. Ronnie Cuber is also a big bari name. Most of the R&b honkers in the 50's had a good bariplayer in thier band.

Thanks, Thom. Appreciate anything you have.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom