support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Saxophones Bari sax with a usable playing stand... Any ideas?

cshimmon

Locality
Sleaford, Lincs
As the title suggests really! I'm only five foot two and have some back problems, but I really don't want to have to give up my Bari playing days. I'm looking into a jp044- has anyone tried one of these on its stand in a seated position?

whatever I do I'm going to have to sell my beautiful black alto to fund it so I need to be sure what I'm doing! Open to advice!

Yes, I've got a JP044 and have played it on the stand. Not my favourite position for playing bari, but if you are on your feet for the best part of a day with the great lump slung around your neck, you'll try anything. It's not what I would call a stand as such, but more like a cello or double-bass foot. It worked best for me standing with the foot resting on a chair (I'm 6 foot). Sitting with it is OK in that it will take all the strain off your neck/shoulders but feels less natural - but I hate playing any sax sat down. And don't go for a metal-framed chair because you will get neurotic about the sax knocking against it.

Apart from that, the JP044 is a great bit of kit and fantastic value for money. Not oozing with character but does what it says on the tin, as they say.

Sell me the beautiful black alto for £30, use the cash to hire the stand for a weekend, and see if you like it.

It's a win-win all round as you can see!

Yes, I've got a JP044 and have played it on the stand. Not my favourite position for playing bari, but if you are on your feet for the best part of a day with the great lump slung around your neck, you'll try anything. It's not what I would call a stand as such, but more like a cello or double-bass foot. It worked best for me standing with the foot resting on a chair (I'm 6 foot). Sitting with it is OK in that it will take all the strain off your neck/shoulders but feels less natural - but I hate playing any sax sat down. And don't go for a metal-framed chair because you will get neurotic about the sax knocking against it.

Apart from that, the JP044 is a great bit of kit and fantastic value for money. Not oozing with character but does what it says on the tin, as they say.

Thanks for that! Yes a foot is definitely a better description! Unfortunately I have to play seated for the band I'm in anyway (a symphonic wind ensemble) so I'm well used to the 'metal sides of chairs' problems! I often carry a drape of thick material to hang over that side of my chair whichever sax I'm playing. Do you think it will be possible for me to play it seated, on the side, on the foot at my height?

Also seeing as you have experience of this instrument, how does the right hand reach compare to other instruments? My last Bari was an Elkhart and I found that if I tried to play it in a seated central position rather than slung over the side, I couldn't reach the right hand keys, but a Jupiter I played prior to that was reachable. As I'm just a blending instrument I'm not to worried about character.

Dont suppose you'd like to sell? ;-) lol

Sell me the beautiful black alto for £30, use the cash to hire the stand for a weekend, and see if you like it.

It's a win-win all round as you can see!

HA HA HA HA!!!! :w00t:

Annoyingly, John Packers won't let me hire one to try :(

Also seeing as you have experience of this instrument, how does the right hand reach compare to other instruments? My last Bari was an Elkhart and I found that if I tried to play it in a seated central position rather than slung over the side, I couldn't reach the right hand keys, but a Jupiter I played prior to that was reachable. As I'm just a blending instrument I'm not to worried about character.

Dont suppose you'd like to sell? ;-) lol

Any chance you could get to a sax shop and try out their wares in the seated position?

Any chance you could get to a sax shop and try out their wares in the seated position?

Unfortunately John packer won't hire out a Bari for me to try and it's waaay too far to pop in! ;}

There is a recent thread on here somewhere about a bari with a special neck, specifically for playing in the seated position - it wasn't a packer though........

Despite the relative differences in our heights, I would expect the JP044 to work for you pretty much as it does for me - there is plenty of adjustment on the foot so you can set it at the angle and height that suits you best.

No, not for sale at the moment but I did see one listed here http://www.trevorjonesltd.co.uk/usedwood.htm for a bargain £850

A "Jiffy" stand will hold the sax while you sit beside it and play. Doublers use them a lot.

Jim.

There is a recent thread on here somewhere about a bari with a special neck, specifically for playing in the seated position - it wasn't a packer though........

Despite the relative differences in our heights, I would expect the JP044 to work for you pretty much as it does for me - there is plenty of adjustment on the foot so you can set it at the angle and height that suits you best.

No, not for sale at the moment but I did see one listed here http://www.trevorjonesltd.co.uk/usedwood.htm for a bargain £850

That neck sounds interesting!

Thanks for the advice about the jp! I've emailed Trevor jones to see if they'd be interested in my alto.

A "Jiffy" stand will hold the sax while you sit beside it and play. Doublers use them a lot.

Jim.

Is that the one that attaches to the bell? I had one if those on my old Jupiter and couldn't manage it to sit

I really wish I could afford a cadence!

Its worth phoning John Packer's as they sometimes have these in their 'ex demo' range - that's where I got mine from, at about half the normal retail price. It had been on tour with Seal, but returned unscathed!

Its worth phoning John Packer's as they sometimes have these in their 'ex demo' range - that's where I got mine from, at about half the normal retail price. It had been on tour with Seal, but returned unscathed!

My only hope of affording the jp044 is ex-demo which they're out of stock at the moment or second hand. I've had a tenor on hire for a few months that I need to pay off this week and I'm going to get them to organise a courier to send them my beloved alto at the same time.

Cue Mandy...

Head - wall moment....

Actually my JP044 didn't have a peg on the bottom, so wouldn't have been of any use, and I've just part exchanged it for a YBS62.

It was for sale only 2 weeks ago!

If you're lucky, it might still be in the shop I went to.

They are only open on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

It was never made with a peg, there were no fixings as if you could have attached one.
I bought it second hand from a chap who had it for 4 months from new and never played it!

Back
Top Bottom