All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Bari sax players. How do you get your sax from point a to point b?

I am trying to try out on my sax for a higher level band. I can't take it with me, for its at my school, and practice. I had a dolly type thing, but that's gone. I don't have any rides either. How would you get your case from point a to point b without trouble?

Christian.

Strobe

I guess no baritone Sax players have seen your post? I played it for a year in school, but it was so many years ago. I can't remember ever having a problem transporting it from place to place. Explain the problem. Why can't you pick up the case by the handle and move with it?

Well, I have a problem there. My point a to point b, is about a 1 mile distance. I did it once, for me, it didn't work out so well. I can understand the answer though. And for me, carrying it for 5 min is hard. So, I also have problems with not practicing. So what I do is, keep it in one place, and practice there whenever I can. Is little practice good?

jonf

Or an alto...

Seriously, as Nick says.

Alternatively, you can get cases with two backpack shoulder straps - I can easily manage mine on my back, and I'd guess I could walk for several kilometres like that. I'm about 85kg and 183cm tall and can manage the bari without any real trouble.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Or an alto...

Seriously, as Nick says.

Alternatively, you can get cases with two backpack shoulder straps - I can easily manage mine on my back, and I'd guess I could walk for several kilometres like that. I'm about 85kg and 183cm tall and can manage the bari without any real trouble.
Don't believe him, Christian. He's a monster and when he drops in at Old Git Towers, he makes me feel wimpish. Starts my Velocette and BSA Gold Star 500ccs with his little finger on the kickstart. Bear in mind that when Cycle or Cycle World, both American motorcycle magazines, tested the Indian framed Velo engined bike, they claimed you need a right leg that could stamp the kickstarter into the pavement.

Let him have a go at my Flu Gel and he pushed the 2nd valve through the bottom of the valve assembly, didn't let him try my Melodeon, thought that handing him a 75 year old German box, no, not you Kev, was too great a risk.

If you can hang on for a while, the CaSLM's instruction book on how to steal a Baritone Sax and suitable transport, you will be sent a complimentary copy.

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
There are all sorts of types of case on the market. As noted above, you could go with the rucksack style or for a wheeled case. Prices vary a lot. A Google search will give you some hints.

Ruby

Wheeled case sounds good if you have to go any distance, unless you're going off road and across a field. They look quite nifty to me but not sure how much they are.

The first time I played bari, I borrowed a wheeled case, then I got my real one. I have a luggage dolly to use, but I don't know where it is. I've done tenor before, and got used to carrying it around. The alto is like, this is as light as a clarinet! I don't want to stop playing bari, but I could use an alto, to still practice. Would that work?

Chris.

Colin the Bear

Practice on one is good for the others. I have Bari, tenor, alto and sop. I find a practice on one benefits the others. Alto sits very well with Baritone. As does clarinet. The change from sop to bari is a bit of a shock to the system.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
I can see your dilemma.
My bari has a wheeled case, but the wheels are so small, I'm not sure they would survive trundling for a mile at a time. They are good for getting the bari from the car to the house, and from the car the the rehearsal venue etc.

Like you, I also have a dolly with much larger wheels that I can strap the bari case onto and I have walked the bari round the corner to a lesson, but it's still not very far, and I find that quite tiring on the arm doing the pulling or pushing.

I've never seen or tried a bari case with shoulder straps. I guess it would be OK if you are tall enough and fit enough. My Tenor case has a 2 shoulder straps like a ruck sack / back pack and I happily walk with that to my lesson, no problem.

If you come up with a good solution, please come back and tell us, it might be useful to someone here too.

Good luck in your search for a solution.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
A SECOND HAND GOLF TROLLY MIGHT BE AN EASY WAY AND PROBABLY A LOT BETTER THAN THE WHEELED CASES FOR LONGER DISTANCES AND I CONSIDER HUMPING A BARI A MILE A LONG WAY AND I APRECIATE YOUR DILEMA I WOULDN'T FANCY LUGGING A TENOR THAT FAR LET ALONE A BARI....john

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Well, I have a problem there. My point a to point b, is about a 1 mile distance. I did it once, for me, it didn't work out so well. I can understand the answer though. And for me, carrying it for 5 min is hard. So, I also have problems with not practicing. So what I do is, keep it in one place, and practice there whenever I can. Is little practice good?
I'm amazed you can do the mile in 5 minutes carrying a bari sax

No that's not it. I have carried it about 2/4 miles before, taking me about 45 min. It's hard for me to carry it for 5 min. That is what I was trying to say.

jonf

I've never seen or tried a bari case with shoulder straps. I guess it would be OK if you are tall enough and fit enough. My Tenor case has a 2 shoulder straps like a ruck sack / back pack and I happily walk with that to my lesson, no problem.
Musical Bags Superbags. Light as a feather, decent protection and not too expensive.

Saxholder Pro

Staff online

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom